Local Dive Shop trips???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bailiff

Reaction score
I have taken some trips with my LDS in the past couple of years and really had a great time......
...but lately the trips that the shop has been posting have seemed a little expensive....like Cozumel for 4 days early next year....$1100.00 and later in the year...7 days $1500.00....I don't want to sound like a big tightwad.....but it seems a little much.

My question is.....how do most of yall plan your trips???
....with a dive shop??....with the family???....with a buddy???...
or just head out solo???

And the BIG question???

Anyone been on any trips planned through the ScubaBoard??
and how where they?

Thanks

Carl

Carl,
There is a guy on the northside of Houston that puts together really good trips very reasonable. Send me a pm and I will hook you up with a phone number so you can compare some pricing.

I have done all of the above. The typical additional cost of a dive trip around here is between $100 and $200. For example, one LDS has a trip for Bonaire for $1475 (7day/dive/condo/air/ect). I can do the same trip for about $1300-1350. I usually plan my own trips with the wife (she dives) and or friends or just a dive buddy. I do like to travel with a dive group however. I enjoy the company and meeting new friends. I also like to go along with a LDS to places I have never been before. The LDS here provides a "dive leader" who acts as tour guide so I learn the area from them and if I want to return, I just book it myself.

As for the trips here, if you are talking about the ones arranged by Natasha, yes I was along on the Wreckmania trip last July and we had a blast. I met a lot of great people and can't wait to dive with them again. The trip was well arranged and she takes great pains to insure the members of the group are....compatable, for lack of a better word.

Best thing I can recommend is to do some online pricing and see if the trips are out of line. Be sure to compare apples to apples. Things like meals and rental cars add a lot to the cost. You have to know what is included and when you priced the trip, did you include them in the total price you came up with.

Never been on one for that reason. Although they are a bit higher and a group would be fun, I usually use a travel agent to get the best air/hotel price. The group I used to go with (8 to 10 ppl.) have kinda dispersed so I just try to round up a buddy to do the double occupancy thing, and snag charter flights for the discount. Trip to Coz. this summer was $500 something per person, staying at the Motel 6 w/palm trees. :D Dang I wish they did charters to Belize and Roatan.

HI!
I just came across this thread.
Bailiff, we are having a 'get together' in Houston 2 days after Christmas. Maybe you can make it, and we will have a chance to talk about dive travel.
As Herman said I plan group trips for my own clients, and for scuba board.
If you're still interested look at my profile for my web site.
:)
PS. My group trip to Cozumel next year is much less then you posted, and includes parties and such.

I usually plan my own trips for myself and friends. I prefer to get a hotel/airfare package, usually through a travel agent, and choose my own dive operator.

In the past, the dive shops had some very good deals going but in the last couple of years, their prices have climbed too. Most dive shops send one or more employees on the trip as group leaders. Part of your price for the trip goes to pay their expenses.

If you are uncomfortable making arrangements on your own, especially out of the country, your best bet is to go through a travel agent. They will work with you to find what you want in your price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom