local Cozumel diver death April 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangscuba98a:
Just finished diving with Dive Paradise last week. It was a swimmer that drowned down by Punta Sur swimming off shore....did not hear anything about a diver.

Thanks for clarifying...I thought it was probably the swimmer based on the timing of the incident as described.

Yes, of course switch to your octo and abort the dive once you are safely able to do so if you find yourself in a situation of being sick underwater.

300 lbs is healthy?:freak:

stangscuba98a:
No he was a large man, local about 300 pounds, and was swimming with family off Punta Sur. There are some really nice beaches on the south end buy dangerous surf!

I'm not so sure this is the same incident. I was with Maggs, I didn't see a 300 lbs man on the back of the other boat. This guy appeared to be average in size. And if he drowned in Punta Sur, why bring him all the way back to Hotel Cozumel when there are other docks closer where medical personnel could have taken over sooner? For clarification, this happenned 4/24/06 ~4:00pm

AXL72:
300 lbs is healthy?:freak:

no no no.. the man i saw them doing CPR on was no where CLOSE to 300 pounds. he was not skinny but he was in no way overweight.

could he have been the swimmer who drowned? Yes, but not if the swimmer really was 300 pounds. maybe the swimmer-story has also taken on a life of it's own similar to us being told it was a diver who vomited in his reg.

thank god i put that disclaimer on my intial post that what i SAW was a fairly young man in what appeared to be good shape wearing swimming trunks and having CPR done on him, and only what we were TOLD was he was a diver who drowned due to vomiting in his reg and the complications after.

either way the story goes, i have begun mental plans to work around a vomit situation and my heart is saddened by the loss of this man and the grief his family feels.

Although I have not personally tried it, a friend and sometimes dive buddy of mine has informed me that it is possible to vomit through your regulator or you can remove the regulator,vomit and then replace it. He has personally tried it both ways successfully.

Peronally, I think that it would be better to keep the regulator in. After vomiting it would be a simple matter to switch to your secondary while you purge and clean the primary. After all, there should be a fair amount of water available to swish it around in. Ater the primary is clean, I would switch back to it.

The important thing would be to stay in control both mentally and, as far as possible, physically.

OK, I guess it is time for a vomiting veteran to step to the plate.

I was preparing for an IDC checkout dive in Florida. The boat moored while I was doing my pre-dive brifing, and it started pitching wildly in the waves. I immediately got seasick for the first time in my life. I struggled through the rest of the briefing successfully, and I was thrilled when we finally submerged. I had to do some skills for a while, and then we started to just have a pleasure dive. The course director signalled to me that he was having a minor equipment problem, and I hovered over his back to fix it for him. I signalled that I was done and he started to swim away. My seasickness instantly returned, without any warning, and I vomited violently, missing his departing fins by inches.

Here's the bottom line:

It was no problem at all. I vomited. I felt better. The regulator worked just fine immediately after that. No need to go to an alternate and call the dive.

And the fish were happy, too.

I'm with boulderjohn on this one... (as another "veteran vomiter"). Hey, could this become a PADI Speciality?!! Cool. What about "Advanced Spew-ber Diver"? :)

Cheers,

Andrew

landlocked:
After vomiting it would be a simple matter to switch to your secondary while you purge and clean the primary. After all, there should be a fair amount of water available to swish it around in. Ater the primary is clean, I would switch back to it.

WARNING: Graphic imagery in the coming paragraphs!

OK, back to the voice of experience.

Your regulator might be a bit messed up, but your mouth is no bowl of cherries, either. I did take my regulator out, but that was because I needed a salt water mouthwash. After a quick rinse, I replaced the regulator. I assume it rinsed itself a little while it was out of my mouth, but it was my mouth that really needed the attention.

boulderjohn:
WARNING: Graphic imagery in the coming paragraphs!
OK, back to the voice of experience.
Your regulator might be a bit messed up, but your mouth is no bowl of cherries, either. I did take my regulator out, but that was because I needed a salt water mouthwash. After a quick rinse, I replaced the regulator. I assume it rinsed itself a little while it was out of my mouth, but it was my mouth that really needed the attention.
Great I'm feeling ill already! I have a weak stomach for that and I don't ever want to dive with you as we would both be feeding the fish if you spewed near me!!! Guess it be a fish feeding frenzy:05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom