loc-line question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Telstar2112

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Making up a pole mounted gopro rig with two loc-line arms for the lights. Should I assume these will fill with water and not seal them at the mount points?

Also, assuming that, I imagine it would be a good idea to drill a hole near top and bottom to get the water in and out quicker?

Similar question with the extendable pole, I imagine the water will get inside so guessing I should drill similar holes to get it in and out quicker?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Steve.

yes to all. I used a modified squeegee handle for the GF's GoPro pole handle and made my own LocLine strobe arms - easy peasy. One thing you will learn, remove housing or make sure you've drained the trapped water before you open the housing. Drain holes somehow always manage to point directly at the things you don't want wet.

loc-line was originally a system to deliver solvents in industrial applications so will retain water unless you provide a way to drain it. A popular use now is to move water in aquarium setups.
Home - Lockwood Products, Inc

Yes, the loc-line stuff is nice, I am surprised they have not expanded the line more with all kinds of attachments for camera, phones, etc. Seems like a missed opportunity. Anyway, I wonder what kind of pressure they can handle, I wonder if the base mounting ends were sealed good if they would hold out the water? Do we know for sure they definitely will fill with water? For example if I go to say only 66 feet that would be about 30psi of water pressure trying to get in, correct?

To answer my own question, checking loc-lines site, the 3/4' is only good for 10psi, so I'll plan on them being filled with water!

I drilled 1/8in holes in both ends of my loc-line to allow water in/out, but find it's easier after the dive to just pop the line in two and rinse both ends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom