Lobster catching gloves that last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your input, I didnt think I would get any response, being a newbie and all ..

Cheers Rich

rakkis - yeah thats what I eat too, I reckon the leg met is the best, and after a while you become an expert a at getting the flesh out

Dave4868 - what sort of butter do you put on your crayfish flesh, yeah ive thought about gardening gloves over wetsuit gloves but I just wonder about grip if it would be too bulky,ill give it try though, can get the gloves your talking about for $2 a pair here

fldiver1 - Aw ok ill keep that in mind, just need to research whats available in NZ

Caloosa - thanks for your input, I might go that way during summer and look at kevlar in the winter

Loneranger - how long do you get out of one pair?

deep pursuit team - because of the exchange rate they would be $50 plus freight to nz... because im just starting and just bought a complete set of dive gear, ill have to wait for a while before I spend that much on gloves

Johnoly - Thanks alot for the welcome, I can see myself becoming a regular member of this forum.What you describe aboout the gloves catching is exactly what happened to me with the neoprene on my gloves getting stuck on the spines, very annoying when your in a bit of a hurry to get a firm grip on the fast becoming more and more wedged cray, thanks for the link ill check it out now, and as soon as I learn how to post a pic on here I will , they will be nowhere as impressive as your catch though....WOW

I buy the non-kevlar rubber version at the Wally Mart. One of the few things I will walk into the store for. They sell the rubber coated gloves for $1.88 a pair. Since I have been buying them I have seen the name brand change 3x. Some have held up better than others but on average they last approximately 20 dives before one or both have holes on the knit side. I carry spares with me so I have a replacement if needed and for that price I don't hesitate to break out a new pair..

Surface Tension:
J.

I was going to try a pair of those until the shipping was going to cost 9 dollars to Orlando. Pretty steep!

Yikes, that's a big shipping charge. I did some checking last night with Dixie Sands, Divers Direct, DiveInn, and ScubaQuest all in Orlando. None of them are presently carrying these gloves with the Green Nitril coating. Diver's Direct has the Blue Latex coating, but it is nowhere near as strong as the green Nitril. I do know that Jupiter Diver Center and Scuba Works (both in Jupiter) and Force E(WPB), do carry them. I don't hit many shops further south so maybe some of those locals can chime in if their shops carry them. I will tell you that once you try them, you'll really like them for bug hunting, they just work.

dave4868:
Are those gloves Kevlar?

Seattle Marine has something similar, a palm-coated knit Kevlar glove around the same price:

http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...idproduct=1824

Yes, those are the exact same kevlar, Green Palm coated gloves. These gloves were originally designed for the food industry and then most of the Florida bug hunters started using them. When you first buy them they are a little stiff from the starch they use, but once in the water the kevlar tighten's up a little and really stay put on your hands. Unfortunately with you being from a drysuit state, they offer zero thermo protection, sorry.

From my middle finger tip to the bottom of my palm is 8" and I wear a size XL in this style glove. If you are going to try and over a drysuit glove or a even a 3mm glove, it might be tight and you should try it first. Best of luck on your hunts and remember to post up Picts of your catch!!

You can find these at any auto parts store. They are durable, have a great fit and grip. Also, they have great protection for your knuckles.

Note: working in any underwater trade that involves manual labor you will go through gloves not matter what you buy - kind of like tires and car racing - it's just the cost of doing business.

Watch me grab a lobster with them here:

mp_k.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom