Lobos Video: Saturday, August 15, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Tony, a new diver, joined us today at Lobos. Seeing as the viz has been somewhat marginal in the slack days of summer, we were hoping to be able to show him a good time. The first dive was a bit murky, with 15-20ft viz, not a lot of fish or other action out, but a fun dive nonetheless, mainly a little orientateering about Middle Reef.

On dive two, the viz opened up tremendously, with about 30ft at Hole in the Wall. Not a bad landmark for a new diver to make it out to, and Tony gave me the double-fist pump when he saw it! I love seeing that kind of excitement on our dives, and I'm glad we could give him a little taste of our cold-water diving. He's also the first wetsuit diver I've dove with who never once mentioned anything about being cold (either under or above the water). Wow.

Btw, the "science experiment" in the video was an ad hoc attempt to see if anything at all would happen if you bring a rigid container with 3-4ATA water bottle up to the surface and "uncorked" it. Answer: either nothing, or a huge geyser, depending on how steady you perceive August's hands to be. But mainly, I just wanted to get video of a slung sigg bottle on a dive :D

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

As to the science experiment, what was your hypothesis? As water don't compress (within reason, that is), I wouldn't expect it to decompress. Right?

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

As to the science experiment, what was your hypothesis? As water don't compress (within reason, that is), I wouldn't expect it to decompress. Right?

Thanks! There wasn't a lot of scenery I could capture with the reduced viz, so I mostly just got shots of divers swimming by.

It began with a discussion on the drive down about what would happen if you brought an open, rigid container down to depth, sealed it, and brought it up--what would be the pressure inside the container before you opened it? We thought, if you put an SPG inside the container at 100fsw, and then sealed it, the spg would continue to read 4ATA. If you then brought the sealed container up to the surface, the SPG would still read 4ATA, and once you open the container, the SPG would immediately go down to 1ATA with absolutely no movement in the water (being virtually incompressible). Then we went into whether trace amounts of dissolved gas would come out of solution upon opening the bottle, which prompted the experiment.

Thanks. Beautiful video - makes me very excited to get back into our waters.

Nice video Kenn! I'm happy the bunnies are back too. :D

I love your experiment, makes the drive interesting (discussion) and the dive a little more exciting also. cool. Nice vid also.

Thanks for the video! Makes me jealous - all I've been able to do lately is put in mileage under Lake Tahoe.

All the best, James

Thanks all.

And James, I'd be devastated if my video took even 3 minutes away from compiling the results of the 2009 Tahoe Benchmark :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom