Llano river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkr3000

Reaction score
Hey Swamp Divers - long time no see! Question: Anyone done any diving in the Llano River in or near Junction? We're planning on visiting that area and wondered if it was a good area to take the gear. I can tell it's not real deep, but it looks pretty clear in some areas. Thanks for any info you might have. rkr

Depends on how much water is flowing, of course. Right now the LCRA is taking a lot water from the rivers to keep the lake levels constant - lots of evaporation this winter because of the warm weather (combined with the lack of rain). In general, the North Llano River up-stream from Junction is not divable. The South Llano, is spring-fed and has a constant flow, both rivers meet at Junction, and you'll find decent pools south of town. It's 70 miles or so from the junction of the two rivers to Lake LBJ. Now, there's not a big call for diving in the river, so there is no well-established area (unlike at the San Marcos, Comal, or Frio), so be sure to stay off private property, and out of fisherman's pools. After about twelve miles south (along US 377) you'll find no real access to the river, bordered on each side by ranches and very thick vegetation. The one area that you may want to look at is Junction City Park on Junction City Lake in Junction. Good access is available, and I have snorkeled there.

Thanks for the info. We'll be bringing our travel trailer and can dive pretty much anywhere in the area around Junction. We've actually looked into the south area that you were talking about. Thanks again for the info - we'll post how it went.

I'd suggest some kayaks or a canoe.
Haven't been down the LLano but I've been taking scuba gear down the Sabinal near Utopia and the Blanco between Fisher store and Wimberly. The Guadalupe around the Kerrville and Hunt area is one my agenda for this spring.
Absolutely beautiful clear water diving. The bass are aggressively friendly but the catfish seem to spook easily.
Deepest spot I've found was about 35 feet so you won't be doing any deep diving.
Paddling gives you the opportunity to cover more area.
I usually do 7 or 8 short dives on a trip(8 or more hours) and snorkel shallow areas.
Daniel is right about staying off private property. Stay in the river.
Hope you get some water time in!

Back
Top Bottom