Living in Alabama - Thank You God!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There are times that I feel down and out. We all have had that feeling – paying more attention to a small trouble than giving thanks for what we have. There is usually something that snaps you out of it but sometimes the feeling just lingers.

For me, sitting in the waiting room at the Kirklin Clinic in Birmingham is therapeutic magic. You see the Kirklin boasts seven-hundred physicians in thirty-five specialties and is most times the last ditch effort for those seriously ill. Within minutes my seemingly small problems just meld away.

The University of Alabama in Birmingham has gained fame for being among the best there is at what they do. Their clinics are becoming more and more crowded with those who have been everywhere else and have no where else to go. I watch those desperate souls and want to drop to my knees and yell out loud “Thank you God for the healthy life you have given me.” I highly recommend their waiting rooms for a quick pick-me-up.

Today I found yet another reason to thank my creator for little things. I went to Catoma Creek in western Montgomery to look for fossils. I packed my rather large forty-four pistol in a bandolier scabbard in case that I might run into problems. I think the huge cannon of a pistol is more of a show saying that I am packing so leave me alone. You see, west Montgomery is known for its crime.

When I arrived at the creek I found only families fishing and enjoying a holiday away from work. No one caught many fish but all enjoyed the sunshine and relaxing sound of water over the falls. My fourteen year old Chevy was most likely the fanciest vehicle parked on the hill. The gentle jeering and laughter and the noises of children playing cast a joyful glee along the creek. I left my hardware in the truck and I found only honest, hard working folk who were enjoying what they could afford to do. My biggest problem was explaining that several million years ago this area was a beach and I was out there picking up the fossils of animals that lived in the sea. I’m sure that they thought “You just ain’t right.”

The hardest lesson of reality came when I started home and found that my truck was overheating. I stopped at a service station on the corner of Old Hayneville Road and the Western Bypass. The store was small and sported burglar bars on every opening. I felt that I was the only Caucasian in fifteen miles. I took interest in the young man out front selling incense. The “guard” on the door finally let me in and mercifully I found my gallon of anti-freeze. I stood in line to pay and listened to the most wonderful and down to earth folks talking and joking amongst each other. One young man counted his pennies and bought three cigarettes. Mind you – not three packs of cigarettes but three cigarettes

I felt guilty paying for my anti-freeze with a twenty dollar bill and went on my way. As I drove home I found myself once again saying “Thank you God for the life you have given me.”

That was awesome Tom, thanks for sharing...
What a nice little story to read before I hit the hay... It's so easy in life to get caught up in things that really just do not matter.

Thanks for the smiles!

Yep, if we just take the time to really notice things we all can say a big thanks to the Good Lord. We are truly blessed. Thanks for the great post.

Mike

I agree. Go in Childrens hospital and you will get an even stronger feeling. Much the same as Kirklin but when children are involved it is different. Just kids. No adults. Makes you appreciate your childrens healt also.
Thanks Tom. Good wake me up this morning.

Tom Smedley:
The hardest lesson of reality came when I started home and found that my truck was overheating. I stopped at a service station on the corner of Old Hayneville Road and the Western Bypass. The store was small and sported burglar bars on every opening. I felt that I was the only Caucasian in fifteen miles. I took interest in the young man out front selling incense. The “guard” on the door finally let me in and mercifully I found my gallon of anti-freeze. I stood in line to pay and listened to the most wonderful and down to earth folks talking and joking amongst each other. One young man counted his pennies and bought three cigarettes. Mind you – not three packs of cigarettes but three cigarettes

This part above reminds me of the time that I drove by a guy in a 30 year old pickup truck that was parked on the side of the road at almost sunset with its hood up. The truck looked so bad that I'm surprised it would run. Like the guy above, he didn't have the money for anything....

Standing out beside it was a guy holding up a pair of jumper cables trying to get passing traffic attention.... no one was stopping. I turned around and went back.

What I met was a guy who had on clothes that GoodWill would have thrown away as being too bad off to sell. His truck was in poor conidition and the battery was old and weak. I pulled up and he said "thank goodness, I thought no one was never going to stop". He knew he needed a new battery but it would have to wait until after payday.

I gladly gave his battery a jumpstart and his truck was running again.

Here's where the story kinda impacted me.... He reached into his pocket and pulled out a couple of wadded up bills. $2 or $3 bucks and tried to hand it to me for helping him. He said it was all he had and wanted to thank me and wished it was more. I mean this guy didn't have anything to his name and he was trying to give me his last 2 bucks for helping him. He looked very embarrased that he didn't have more to offer.

I told him that the only thanks I needed was if he saw me with a dead battery on the side of the road some day was to stop and jump me off. He agreed and boy did that bring a smile of pride back to his face.

We've got some good folks here in Alabama. It made me feel good also to help him. I was really glad I turned around on the highway and went back to help him.

I moved away once and lived in Maine for several years. Everytime I heard Sweet Home Alabama, I would cry. Tom, you are completely correct. It is a wonderful state, great people but its also a state of mind that is pecan pie, spanish moss on the trees, porch swings instead of fences, meeting your third grade teacher after 25 years and still saying yes sir to him, cutting your neighbors yard when he broke his leg, having an conversation with your next door neighbor about his barking dog instead of callin the law, ice tea 365 days a year and long, tight hugs from friends just when you need them most. Thanks for taking the time to remind us all of that. I stand up when I hear Stars Fell on Alabama like it is the national anthem.

By the way... Bear Bryant is still our hero regardless.

Back
Top Bottom