Living in a boat???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been wondering, what would it be like to live in a docked boat? Some of the luxury cruisers give you the luxury of a hotel suite or a two bedroom apartment. Cost wise it would be cheaper to purchase to purchase a boat than an apartment even though property prices are rock bottom. The only thing one would have to worry about is docking fee and getting electric power, cable tv etc.

Is there anyone out there who can shed light on what it is like to live in a boat? I mean LIVE as the boat being your permenant address.

Thanks.

I myself have not done it but my parents have, on both a 40 ft sailboat and 65 ft troller. Yes the initial investment is less as compared to a house, but the depreciation will kill you if you're comparing it to real estate. Plus there's the not inconsiderable upkeep, and the expenses involved in moving perhaps several times a year if you're in a hurricane zone? And that's not including the expenses involved in actually taking the boat somewhere for recreational purposes. Or finding nooks and cranies to actually store all the stuff that most of us seem to accumulate. YMMV of course. Personally, I am attracted to the romance of living on a boat full time, but if you are looking at it strictly as to the finances, my guess would be that it doesn't make a lot of "cents".

Last edited:
After my divorce it was buy a house or a boat. I flipped a coin and ended up in a house. To this day I wish I would have got the boat. In my region, a lot of folks live on their boats year round. I've been told that Annapolis has one of the highest concentrations of live-a-boards in the region. I know a few folks who moor their boats. They have solar and wind capabilities, as well as sewage incinerators and fresh water makers on board. They simply take their dinghy to the docks where they park their cars. They tend to have 35' and larger older sailboats.

In a house you can build equity, but a boat is the opposite! Good luck.

If it was an option where I live, I'd be living on a boat.

funny, this is my retirement plan! I plan on living in a boat. having a PO box that i'll check maybe twice a month, bring lots of Buffett music, a blender, and i'm set. I've dreamed of this for years. yah, it's just a dream though. who knows..... maybe.. It keeps me going sometime when I'm ready to strangle one of the kids :wink:

I have several friends who live on their boats, ranging from a 36 foot trawler on up. All say they love it, they have a tight knit "neighborhood" in their marinas, they love being able to drive their home elsewhere for a visit.

The key seems to lie in NOT being big on possessions. Or having off-site storage for things that cannot be let go of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom