Living, blue paint chips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
During the summers here in the NE United States you can sometimes see little tiny specks in the water which resemble vibrant blue paint chips. I often see these little guys when I am hanging on a deco. line. I saw tons when I was deco'ing off the Andrea Doria and deeper wrecks.

Again, they resemble cobalt blue paint chips. When you try to grab-em' they turn a different color. I suspect they must be an copepod of some type, but since I haven't grabbed any I don't know.

Has anyone (who's done some plankton netting during the summer) know who these little guys are? I'd say the size is 1-2mm.

Thanks.

X

jhbryaniv:
It's not nice to harass sea life :D

LOL! Those little guys are so fast and small they make me look like the land-lubbering biped I am! :eyebrow:

X

LeslieH:
Should be copepods. There are some species of Labidocera and members of the family Pontellidae which are bright cobalt blue and can be extremely abundant in some areas. Not many good pictures show up in a google search. The best is at http://weblog.greenpeace.org/deepsea/archives/2004/06/ scroll down to June 5, 2004.

Thank you Leslie. I appreciate the web log too as a former Greenpeacer!

I think I might try to bring a small mesh net with me this summer. The little guys are always fun to watch on a dive.

X

My pleasure :D You should try some night light netting as well. All sorts of swarmers will show up to a bright light especially close to the full moon. They're great fun to watch.

Hey Mr.X,

Back in 1997 I grabbed one off the back of the boat and brought it to UCONN Avery Point to find out what it was. The guy I talked to sent it to a friend at the Smithsonian, here's his reply:

Blue-Chip-a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom