Liveaboards to Channel Islands available again: Truth and Vision upgraded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julie T

Registered
Reaction score
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I received the email below from Channel Islands Expeditions, indicating that they've acquired the Truth and Vision, sister boats to the Conception, have made numerous safety improvements, and are beginning liveaboard excursions to the Channel Islands. Here's the direct link to their "Service and Safety" page which describes physical improvements to the boats for safety, as well as changes to safety protocols for crew and passengers: Service and Safety )

Personally, I'm looking forward to diving the Channel Islands again!

July 8 email from Channel Islands Expeditions:

90725795-1104-4b92-c88b-9e3baeb4a1a1.png

Come Dive With us on Vision & Truth!
We are pleased to announce that Truth & Vision, now operated by Channel Islands Expeditions, are available to book for live-aboard dive trips this summer. Safety is our top priority and we can’t wait to have you onboard and back under water! Our first dive trip of the season is on July 18th and we’d love to have you!

Read on for details on all the dive adventures available this season.

Northern Islands Three Day Dive
0506474c-3055-2d90-abde-9e1f9eca0985.jpg

With three days of diving at Santa Rosa, San Miguel and Santa Cruz, our Northern Islands 3 day will get you underwater at legendary dive spots throughout Channel Islands National Park. With 3-4 dives a day, plus optional night dives, this trip is a non stop dive adventure. Come enjoy the dive trip of a lifetime with us aboard the Vision.

Book A Northern Islands 3 Day
Lobster Season
8292098e-c1c8-a1c0-8e09-7d2f1d44a5a7.jpg

Book a lobster season dive trip with us and get out there and grab some bugs! We have three day dive trips going out on October 14th and 21st on Truth and Vision. Book your spot now before they fill up!

Book a Lobster Season Trip
Discover Two Day Dive Adventure
9c5bc99d-1929-c5cb-4e27-e949147d2cb4.jpg

Come visit the lush kelp forests and abundant marine life of Santa Cruz Island on a 2 day dive adventure. Whether you’ve been diving at the islands for years or are dusting off your 7mm and fins for the first time in awhile, this is the trip for you!

Book a Discover Two Day Dive Adventure
In November, 2020, Channel Islands Expeditions purchased Truth & Vision with the goal of carry forwarding a long standing tradition of sharing the Channel Islands with the public, both below and above the water. After extensive modifications and the establishment of new safety systems we are ready to get these boats back on the water. We can’t wait for you to come see the upgrades we’ve made to the boats on your next dive adventure.

- Garrett & Kaia Kababik & Joel Mulder, CIEx Founders

Read About Our Enhanced Safety Protocols
Check Us Out on Social Media!
cdn-images.mailchimp.com%2Ficons%2Fsocial-block-v2%2Fdark-facebook-48.png
cdn-images.mailchimp.com%2Ficons%2Fsocial-block-v2%2Fdark-instagram-48.png
cdn-images.mailchimp.com%2Ficons%2Fsocial-block-v2%2Fdark-link-48.png

90725795-1104-4b92-c88b-9e3baeb4a1a1.png

Copyright (C) 2021 Channel Islands Expeditions. All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.

Our mailing address is:

Channel Islands Expeditions
117 B Harbor Way
Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2315
Add us to your address book

Great idea! I just sent Channel Island Expeditions a comment, via their "contact us" page, suggesting exactly that: please hold an open house and/or post an online video walking prospective liveaboard customers through all the improvements, so we can see them for ourselves. Here's their "contact us" page, if you'd like to send them a message as well: Contact Channel Islands Expeditions

Sounds good. For their Northern Channel Islands 3 day/3 night trips, I see this:

"
  • Season: May to October
  • Experience Level: Intermediate
  • Minimum Number of Guests: 16
  • Maximum Number of Guests: 32
  • Minimum Age: 10 years old"

That max. is a bunch of people. My questions would then be...

1.) Will they have 'limited load' trips capped at a smaller max. of divers, like Truth Aquatics did?
2.) They mentioned the Southern Channel Islands under places they go, but I take it they don't have trips lined up for that yet? When might those come?
3.) Any plans for 5-day trips, or scheduling that's convenient for back-to-back trips, to offer a more practical value package to out-of-state dive tourists? If I'm buying round-trip airfare for a solo dive trip, I want at least 5 days of diving.
4.) Their 'Our Vessels Page' list both the M/V Vision and M/V Truth as having an overnight capacity of 30 people. IIRC, the Truth is substantially smaller than the Vision...yet it has the same overnight capacity?
5.) What will be their view on solo diving?

Sounds good. For their Northern Channel Islands 3 day/3 night trips, I see this:

"
  • Season: May to October
  • Experience Level: Intermediate
  • Minimum Number of Guests: 16
  • Maximum Number of Guests: 32
  • Minimum Age: 10 years old"

That max. is a bunch of people. My questions would then be...

1.) Will they have 'limited load' trips capped at a smaller max. of divers, like Truth Aquatics did?
2.) They mentioned the Southern Channel Islands under places they go, but I take it they don't have trips lined up for that yet? When might those come?
3.) Any plans for 5-day trips, or scheduling that's convenient for back-to-back trips, to offer a more practical value package to out-of-state dive tourists? If I'm buying round-trip airfare for a solo dive trip, I want at least 5 days of diving.
4.) Their 'Our Vessels Page' list both the M/V Vision and M/V Truth as having an overnight capacity of 30 people. IIRC, the Truth is substantially smaller than the Vision...yet it has the same overnight capacity?
5.) What will be their view on solo diving?
I would really like a open house to be able to check things out. Come on what’s so bad about that? Unless there’s stuff they don’t want us to see

I would really like a open house to be able to check things out. Come on what’s so bad about that? Unless there’s stuff they don’t want us to see

I've no problem with it. I have no idea how open they are to the idea. On the one hand, customers will eventually show up and observe things first hand anyway, and some will report their observations. On the other, their website already specifies what's new. Skeptics coming with an agenda to fault-find might attend this 'open house' and post complaints, feeding into 'fear, uncertainty and doubt,' discouraging bookings before trips are generating positive reports.

What is it you expect to see? If you board the boat and walk around, you can see the fireproof charging cabinet...but you won't observe a roving watch patrolling the boat 24/7. But you have a big point on one thing I see...this:

"More Exit Hatches
Each vessel has been upgraded with additional escape hatches from the bunk rooms to the weather deck. More points of exit make getting out of the bunk room much easier in the case of an emergency."

Being a little 'beefier' than the average guy, I agree, it'd be nice to eye ball those escape hatches in person to make sure some of us 'big folks' would fit through. They do have some photos on their webpage, though. I'd like to know the measurements of the 'holes' one need pass through.

Is it common practice in the industry for operations to host 'open houses' for the curious to tour their boats?

I've no problem with it. I have no idea how open they are to the idea. On the one hand, customers will eventually show up and observe things first hand anyway, and some will report their observations. On the other, their website already specifies what's new. Skeptics coming with an agenda to fault-find might attend this 'open house' and post complaints, feeding into 'fear, uncertainty and doubt,' discouraging bookings before trips are generating positive reports.

What is it you expect to see? If you board the boat and walk around, you can see the fireproof charging cabinet...but you won't observe a roving watch patrolling the boat 24/7. But you have a big point on one thing I see...this:

"More Exit Hatches
Each vessel has been upgraded with additional escape hatches from the bunk rooms to the weather deck. More points of exit make getting out of the bunk room much easier in the case of an emergency."

Being a little 'beefier' than the average guy, I agree, it'd be nice to eye ball those escape hatches in person to make sure some of us 'big folks' would fit through. They do have some photos on their webpage, though. I'd like to know the measurements of the 'holes' one need pass through.

Is it common practice in the industry for operations to host 'open houses' for the curious to tour their boats?

well if I was trying to reboot a business that just had a past vessel that killed 34 people I may be a little more understanding to my customer base. But that just my feelings.

...the Truth is substantially smaller than the Vision...

And has a different layout, as far as exit from the bunk room is concerned. Sister boats is a stretch.

That being said, I'm glad they are back to making trips to the islands.

Back
Top Bottom