Liveaboards: the good, the bad and the ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Nekton uses LP95's. (Not the AL80's) but not 100% sure.

But you'll find the most common rental tank or tank provided by most boats is always going to be the AL80 as a general rule.

Other stuff...the biggest reason I reccomend liveaboard diving is that it's way lower effort. You set up you gear once, when you get on the boat, and wake up with a 30 foot walk to your gear (which is conveniently parked right over the dive site). You don't have to wake up in the morning, schlep all your stuff to the boat, set it up, ride to the dive, get off the boat for lunch...and...repeat in the afternoon.

And you don't have to dive. You can be lazy and sleep in, and make the second dive at the same site before the boat moves.

This pretty much sums up my main reasons for loving liveaboards. That, and the significantly higher number of dives per day, and better access to more remote sites. But I have spent a lot of time on boats, and my expectations may not be the same as some others who might want the sort of things resorts can offer (e.g. land-based sightseeing, more comfortable accommodations, access to restaurants in town, etc).

You're on a boat at sea for 7 days. For the next week, shoes are optional, everything you need is close at hand, and everything you don't need (TV, etc) is out of sight, out of mind. In between dives and meals, you can socialize, if you choose, or read, or sit and admire the sunset, or go take a nap.

Rough weather.... It's a judgment call for the Captain to determine when you keep trying to get some dives in, and when you have to turn tail and head for port or a sheltered mooring. From a guest's perspective, the most important thing is to keep your sense of adventure, and bear in mind that if bad weather spoils your diving, that's just the way it goes sometimes. Have the best time you can in spite of it all. A sense of adventure can come in handy here. Besides, if the weather is really that crappy, resort boats won't be diving either.

Being stuck with a jerk for the duration of the trip: Can happen, does happen, sucks, but it's not as bad as all that. Usually if there's a real jerk on board, most of the other people on board feel the same way about the person, and you just socialize with the people you DO like.

Food: I have yet to be on a liveaboard with =bad= food. Sometimes it's on par with diner food, rather than haute cuisine, but generally they provide a good selection of options that are reasonably well-prepared. Understand that the further you go from home, the greater the chances that the boat is depending on local supplies/ingredients and may not always have your favorite items available.

Limited space: Varies from boat to boat. Channel Islands, CA for example, all the liveaboards I'm aware of are dormitory style living. Guests stacked three bunks high, almost no space for your personal things, two heads shared by thirty divers, but you get by. Pack as light as you can, and carve out your little bit of personal space where you can. I MUCH prefer liveaboards that have private rooms, but even there, space tends to be tight, so packing light is a help. If tropical, you don't need more than t-shirts, shorts, maybe something with long sleeves for times when there might be a little chill.... Flip-flops are good for all occasions.

I love being at sea. I love waking up in the morning and walking out on deck and seeing the whole horizon, and the sun coming up over the ocean. I love rolling out of bed and knowing that as soon as breakfast is over, we'll be getting ready to get in the water. I love coming back from a dive with a hot cookie fresh from the oven waiting for me, and my room just a few short steps away. I love hanging out on the boat's sundeck with new and old friends. For me, there's no downside to liveaboard diving, but it depends what kind of vacation you're looking for. What I love might not be your idea of a good time, but if it is, you're going to love liveaboard diving.

I love being at sea. I love waking up in the morning and walking out on deck and seeing the whole horizon, and the sun coming up over the ocean. I love rolling out of bed and knowing that as soon as breakfast is over, we'll be getting ready to get in the water. I love coming back from a dive with a hot cookie fresh from the oven waiting for me, and my room just a few short steps away. I love hanging out on the boat's sundeck with new and old friends. For me, there's no downside to liveaboard diving, but it depends what kind of vacation you're looking for. What I love might not be your idea of a good time, but if it is, you're going to love liveaboard diving.

Now this is my kind of diver. :D

ditto what Gale68 said. I don't just love waking up onboard a boat, I crave it.

Hello, my name is Robin, and I am a liveaboard addict. I was on my last liveaboard trip Dec 2007, I will be on another liveaboard dive trip in April 2008. :D

:Drobin:D

I have only done the Nekton Liveaboard.

And yes I tend to think that most "not all - but most" of the bad things written are true.

But my personal experience was top shelf and I will dive with them again at some point.

DD

Am diving in the Bahamas at the moment. This is why I like liveaboards. For a two tank dive I have to pack all my gear up - get picked up at the hotel - wait for other guests to arrive - take the boat out to the dive site - a small boat so this is all very weather dependant (not diving today) the SI is short so I am near max NDL on the second dive. Reverse the process to get back to my room. Love the operators I am diving with - Grand Bahama Scuba (shameless plug) they make it as easy as possible but liveaboards are so much easier.

On a liveaboard the walk to the dive deck is max 20 yards I roll in dive the dive I want take the SI I want and dive again. I can look at the pics I took during the SI or I can take a nap or socialize, whatever. It is so EASY. The boats tend to be much bigger so not quite so weather dependant.

Been on three different liveaboards Nekton Peter Hughes and Mike Ball total 6 trips - food ranged from good to excellent.

Had a goof or two on a couple of trips - but easy to avoid and who knows people might have been avoiding me:). Met some GREAT people on every trip I have been on.

The down side is weather - if you can't dive, you are on a boat and trapped. On shore you can do something else. If you don't want to dive, dive, dive and you don't enjoy simply being on the water then a liveaboard might not be for you.

Nekton is the only one I know that has larger tanks LP 95's as I recall. Everyone has been clear - no diving beyond rec limits. There are tec diving liveaboards - not for me but if that is what you want you might look into those.

Couldn't have said it better!

The only thing "bad" and "ugly" about liveaboard diving is when I decide to wear my speedo in public!

JP

I guess I need to rethink my objectives. I am so used to thinking I need to go 100+ NDL because most of the diving on wrecks on the Eastern seaboard require it. On a tropical dive, it would not be necesary and everything would be well within reach of 90ft.

Thanks for all the great replies. I cannot wait to go on my trip!. PNG has long been one of my ultimate destinations, and I will keep the tree frogs in mind as well! Should I be so fortunate to go.

I would like to learn more how you transfered a scooter though the airport, taxies and all (batteries included) to a liveaboard!

Cheers,

Mr. B

<snip>I would like to learn more how you transfered a scooter though the airport, taxies and all (batteries included) to a liveaboard!

Cheers,

Mr. B

...and here's the PDF with your answer, complete with pictures.

All the best, James

Like Robint, I am a liveaboard addict as well. I was very resistant to the whole idea until we dove from our cruise boat in Tahiti in Oct 2005 and I loved it. My husband booked us on the T&C Explorer in Oct 2006. It was fantastic and when the trip ended I didn't want to get off the boat. Since then we have done liveaboards in May 2007, Oct 2007, Nov 2007 and planned Apr 2008, June 2008. There is just no other way to dive, and there is no one from the outside world to bother you (e.g. phones, blackberries, email). And yes, on every trip we have encountered a few odd balls, but we have also made great friends as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom