Liveaboards in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenofozz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Heading back home to Oz soon from japan and am wanting to do a lot of diving.. has anyone been on any good live aboards??? I live in perth but will head to Sydney in September, but with cheap flights in oz these days i can go anywhere!

Don't need liveaboards to go diving! Certainly in Sydney there are lots of active dive clubs, and there are liveaboards up and down the East coast - bit more info would help with recommendations - are you after warm water, reefs, wrecks?

Again recommend the Aussie websites - www.diveoz.com.au and www.underwater.com.au for general info. Where is best depends on what you want to see - conditions are good in tropical Queensland, as that will be the dry season, so diving on the GBR should be good. It is winter here at that time, so diving further south will be pretty cool both in and out of the water, although it is clearer than summer.

Hey Jenofozz...

How have you been? I remember we've pm'd back and forth about a year ago... I think it was when you just got certified in Guam and/or Palau. I'll be in OZ touring the country for 4 months starting August... then after a year in NZ, I will have my permanent resident visa for OZ =)

Anyway, I went on a 4 day with Spirit of Freedom out Cairns last year and had a great time... lots of great diving in the northern GBR. This time, I will probably go on a 5 day with either Taka or Nimrod.

I hear there is great diving on the West Coast too, I haven't heard of any live-aboards there though... I think all the live-aboards in OZ are north of the Whitsundays.

There are a few liveaboards further south - there are a couple out of Brisbane, and one down in Jervis Bay in NSW, but not that many that I am aware of. There were no standard liveaboards out of Exmouth when we were there, but am not sure if there are any in other parts of WA.

Hi guys, thanks for all the info! I am great thanks H30. hey, we should hook up for some diving while you're in Oz!

I have only managed to go diving in Thailand since i got qualified in Guam and Palau, but I am planning on doing heaps when I head back home in August. They have whalesharks at Ningaloo until the end of August it seems so I may just make it. Congrats on teh VISA!

Roz Amos - as far as what I like, I am still a novice, but I realy liked the diving I did in Palau, lots of drop offs, beautiful coral/reef, and marine life. Actually, I am really into seeing marine life and loved all the sharks in Palau!

Currently I am thinking of doing an Advanced and rescue in Ningaloo, and Divemasters in the Whitsundays. Anyone who dives over in Queensland, if you could dive at any time between August and December when would you dive? I can go anywhere so I just need to know where and when is best!!!

I will start checking out those links you sent, thanks a bunch :scubadive : can't wait to get in the water again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom