Liveaboards from La Paz or Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixen

New
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good liveaboard operation in the La Paz or Cabo areas?

Also, when is a good time to go? I've done a bit of Carib. diving and love the fish life, but I'm interested in diving with bigger critters this time (seals, pelagics, etc.).

My only experience there is with the Don Jose. Did a week with them a couple of years ago and it was wonderful! I think you book them thru Baja Expeditions (I was doing this trip last minute as part of a REEF field survey so the details of booking weren't something I had to deal with too much).
The crew is absolutely fantastic, the food is great (even though I'm a vegetarian they had no problem accomodating me), and in my limited warm water experience I thought the diving was great. We were there in October so didn't see any of the big pelagics but saw a lot of life at every site we visited. We ended up not being able to go as far south as we had intended because there was hurricane activity. Don't know when the best time to see the big critters but I'm sure someone else will pipe up with that info.
One of the best things about this operation is that they are VERY environmentally aware. But if you are looking to do spearfishing this isn't the operation for you-it isn't allowed.
I did a report of the trip which you can find (if you're interested) at pnwscuba.com. From the Home Page, go to Dive Professionals, then Georgia Arrow, then Baja REEF field survey report.
Hope you have a great time.

Thanks wylerbear!

This is the kind of operation I'm looking for. I'll be sure to check out the trip report!!

Out of Cabo there's Solmar V to the Socorros Islands. (Revillagigedos Archipielago)
http://www.solmar.com/solmarv/

If you go in late winter, there's a higher likelihood you'll see Humpbacks, but the water is colder. Any time you go you're likely to see Mantas, Hammerheads, possibly Whale Sharks, possibly Dolphins, Tigers, as well as hundreds of smaller sharks. If you've ever seen the Nat'l Geographic special about riding Mantas, that's where it was filmed. They move the boat to the Sea of Cortez for the summer.

I've read there's tricky currents around the islands, so most divers on the trip are AOW. Do a search here, there were a couple of trip reports filed last year. I've never been there, but it's on the list.

afaik this is the only liveaboard out of Cabo....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom