Liveaboards and fishing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DailyLunatic

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in Spring 2004 and would like to do a 4 or 5 day liveaboard while I am there.

To the knowledge of the group, is fishing allowed at any point during any of the liveaboards out of Thailand. (NOT acutally at any of the dive sites, or other protected areas, of course.)

I have seen a few websites for fishing, and many many for diving out of Thailand, and was wondering if the group knew of any that might combine the two.

I'm thinking really really fresh sushi here. :)

Forgot to add that I have found a few fishing charters that would do a dive or two. but, the primary focus on these would be the fishing.

I'm wanting to turn that on its head and have the emphasis on the diving.

I'm wanting to dive, and maybe get in a little fishing, NOT fish, and maybe get in a little diving.

I mean, what am 'I' going to do with more than one or two fish?

Thanks
:eek:ut:

No.
The Similan and Surin Islands are National Parks. Fishing is not allowed. You will not be allowed to take fishing gear on a dive boat to these areas. Please let me know if someone else does let you so I can report them to the Marine Park Authority.

From regulations standpoint, there are live-aboards that go from Phuket to Burmese waters. The authorities probably wouldn't object you catching a lunch for couple people… Heck, the locals blast-fish over there.

As for the details… Live-aboards are not equipped for fishing... Hard for me to imagine… Even if the crew doesn’t object, I’m sure some of your dive buddies will not be completely happy about this. :boom:

Sunrise once bubbled...
No.
The Similan and Surin Islands are National Parks. Fishing is not allowed. You will not be allowed to take fishing gear on a dive boat to these areas. Please let me know if someone else does let you so I can report them to the Marine Park Authority.

Per your request: http://www.phuketdeepseafishing.com/

This is one of the links I mentioned, a liveaboard fishing trip that also has limited diving.

I expect they stay out of the National Park for most of the trip. How they do the dives without bringing the equipment into the area I have no idea. I expect they lock it up before they enter the Park (but this is just a guess. I have no idea what the local regulations on that might be.)

From the looks of the above site, it appears that there would only be one day or so of diving. I'm much more interested in the diving than the fishing, plus I REALLY don't like the idea of catching more that I would eat (and some of these pics show huge hauls)

For those reasons I am NOT interested in going with them, and am instead hoping to find something that does the reverse. For instance, a liveaboard that stays in the Park diving for most of the trip, then spends part of one day fishing outside of the National Park, with a nice dinner made of the catch that evening.

:)

While in Myanmur (aka Burma) the DM's were fishing and catching tuna

Back
Top Bottom