Liveaboard vs. staying at a hotel in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Cali_Diver. He may well enjoy his solitary time aboard whilst the divers are away. Further, some boats have paddle boards and/or sea kayaks for getting about into the beautiful coves and such.

I too feel you do yourselves a disservice if you don't do a 10-11 day lob to enjoy and rejoice in this whole area.

Now, having said all that, be forewarned, if you're just beginning to contact resorts and boats, you may not be going at all. Reservations are generally getting pretty tight by now!

I'm a huge fan of liveaboard diving, and I agree that RA is a big area that can only be seen on a liveaboard. Having said that, resorts have good points. No one knows the sites, their currents, critters, and tides better than people diving them every day. There's also the opportunity to repeat great sites. In theory, liveaboards can do that, but I've sometimes felt that liveaboards because they have the option to move feel a compulsion to cover as many sites and areas as possible, rather than hitting only the best ones. I've got a week scheduled at Papua Explorers after a Banda Sea liveaboard this fall. I'm looking forward to it. And I'd gladly spend a couple of weeks at Misool Eco Resort if I could afford it.

I know that my question is a bit of a matter of a personal preference, but I would still dare to ask... My husband and I are going to Raja Ampat this December and need some help deciding whether to do liveaboard or stay in a hotel. He doesn't dive as much as I do because of the sinus problem, so 2 dives a day is enough for him. Our concern is that if we stay at a hotel we won't experience the full beauty of RA because they won't take us to the best sites. I should mention that never we tried liveaboard for our fours years of diving. If you think the hotel still a viable option, please make recommendations. Thank you!!!

it depends what time of year you go. we were in RA in july and stayed at the Sorido Bay resort on Kri island. very cushy and great diving.

pic from our room.
P7137641-adj-small.jpg

That does look pretty sweet!

One thing I like about Raja Ampat is the sea can be so calm & flat like in a lake.

Back
Top Bottom