Liveaboard (Solmar V)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You inquire about "this trip." Which of the two itineraries of the Solmar V would that be?

Sea of Cortez (mid-June to Nov) or Socorro Islands (Nov to mid-June)? They endeavor to work around the hurricane/tropical storm season.

I have done both.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

it was outstanding in all aspects. One of the best operations of the dozen liveaboards I've done.

Only 10 divers (don't count on that, tho), perfect weather, spectacular scenery, mantas on every dive (one dive had 8 at once), sharks in profusion, great crew and chase boats, excellent food (the fresh grilled wahoo was some of the best fish I've eaten), and the boat had just come out of drydock and was sparkling from bow to stern.

You will be spoiled after being on the Solmar...

DocVikingo:
You inquire about "this trip." Which of the two itineraries of the Solmar V would that be?

Sea of Cortez (mid-June to Nov) or Socorro Islands (Nov to mid-June)? They endeavor to work around the hurricane/tropical storm season.

I have done both.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

My apologies Doc, I was looking at the Socorro Islands in April.

Thanks,

Jeff

cyklon_300:
it was outstanding in all aspects. One of the best operations of the dozen liveaboards I've done.

Only 10 divers (don't count on that, tho), perfect weather, spectacular scenery, mantas on every dive (one dive had 8 at once), sharks in profusion, great crew and chase boats, excellent food (the fresh grilled wahoo was some of the best fish I've eaten), and the boat had just come out of drydock and was sparkling from bow to stern.

You will be spoiled after being on the Solmar...

Sounds as though the trip is as good as the review had stated.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jeff

That itinerary was one of my best dive trips ever. No other place in the world that you can have giant Pacific manta experiences like that. Also good shark action, reef, silkies & hammerheads. Plus you'll see the usual tropicals found in these waters. Whales during season.

Just be aware that this is not diving for the newbie. While not very advanced diving, one does need to be able to handle blue water dives, current & surge in a very remote location without close tending.

Solmar V is a nice craft, although even by liveaboard standards the rooms are quite small & short on storage space. It is a long, long ride each way, and not an inexpensive trip when all is said & done.

My recommendation is, go for it.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Solmar V is a nice craft, although even by liveaboard standards the rooms are quite small & short on storage space. It is a long, long ride each way, and not an inexpensive trip when all is said & done.

My recommendation is, go for it.

Only real gripe on the Solmar opertion is no nitrox. For some reason they refuse to incorporate it in the operation. Just came back from a trip in early Feb. on the Solmar. Be ready for cooler water temps (72-74) than you get in Nov and Dec (76-78) The diving is very good for pelagic action.

i have a friend who was divemaster of the solmar v for one year, he has a lot of material, verbal, and graphical, that have make me wanted to go there as soon as i can afford the live-aboard......
good luck..

Hi everyone

I'm new to this board but not to diving. This is my first post so hopefully I won't break any rules.

I just got back from a trip to Socorro on the Solmar V and have to say it was a trip of a lifetime. I'm not a great photographer but I got shots of mantas that could be on the cover of a magazine. The experience was amazing! I'll try to post some photos soon. My friends and I have signed up for another trip later this year for a photo tour conducted by Marty Snyderman in the Sea of Cortes. They are having a photo contest and are giving away a free trip. Can't wait! http://Solmar.com/SolmarV/index.cfm?p=Photo+Tours+2004

I really loved the boat but the rooms were smaller than other boats I've been on. Not uncomfortable though. Its a very pretty boat with lots of wood. Its very well maintained. The crew was amazing too. The dive deck is big and not crowded because we could staggar our dive time and go in a little after everyone else. For about 10 minutes I had my very own manta!

I would highly recommend the trip to anyone

Danni

Thank you all very much for the input and information.

Unfortunately I think this one will go into the "when I become more experienced" category along with the Galopagos. The recurring thing I gathered while checking here and on other sites was, "not for the inexperienced diver".
Although I'm not new to diving, I only get to go two to four times a year and I am unfamiliar with downcurrents or diving in open ocean. Combining this with all the cool critters that have been described...I would probably swallow my reg, drop my BC and go into a flat spin to the bottom.

Looks like April's trip is going to be on the Carribean Explorer in Turks and Caicos. From the sounds of things, this should provide me with my first shark encounters (other than a Nurse Shark in Grand Cayman) and possibly some other large critters. This will also be my first liveaboard. Next we tackle open ocean...I'll be back on the board for advice when I start prepping for that trip.

Once again, thanks for the info and input,
:snorkel:
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom