Liveaboard: Raja Ampat or Papua New Guinea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwc3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently investigating a liveaboard dive trip to celebrate my 40th birthday. I'm looking for blow-your-mind diving with really nice reefs and some big stuff, too. Not looking for wrecks or expert-only dives. I am trying to decide between Raja Ampat and Papua New Guinea. They're on opposite sides of the same island, but are they similar? Has anyone here been to both? Which do you recommend and why? Thanks for your help.

I have pretty much the same question. How it is in January to March? Many answers were contradictory.

Is it right that PNG is rather for big staff and Raja4 rather for swarms, scenery and macro life? Thank you.

PNG is not a big stuff destination. Shark numbers are far, far fewer as the years go by. There are a few big stuff locations left - Cocos, Galapagos. If you like Mantas they can be found in many places. Both destinations involve a lot of travel - choose carefully.

We have dove both but in PNG we did the Milne Bay route which is more aimed at small stuff. Doing the northern route in Nov with Peter Hughes. Raja is fantastic and very comparable to Milne Bay. Not a lot of sharks but you do see them every now and then. But you do see rays and plenty of various schools.

Really if you like big stuff Palau has sharks on almost every dive. You can see slide shows and trip reports for all, well still working on the Raja report.

Thanks for your responses. However, I think my question remains unanswered: What's the difference between RA and PNG, and which do you recommend?

We just came back from a trip on StarDancer from Kimbe Bay to Rabaul. As far as big stuff goes, there were a good number of sharks and tuna. There were also lots of jacks but no giant trevally. Didn't see any mantas and only a few other rays.

The issue is both are very close in creatures and corals. I would have to say Raja has the best variety of coral and medium to small animals we have seen anywhere and is the one place we will repeat in the near future. You can't go wrong with either. By far the nicest boat we have ever been on is the Paradise Dancer in Raja.

Thanks for your responses. However, I think my question remains unanswered: What's the difference between RA and PNG, and which do you recommend?

Actually the issue is not RA and PNG really. I Have spent considerable time in both areas.

RA in particular around Cape Kri was known for diversification of marine life however this has changed recently with Se Misool taking over the reigns with being ONE OF THE MOST richest areas (NOT THE MOST).

Prior to the work done by world renown ichthyologist's like Gerry Allen the the area with the most diversification on the planet was Kimbe Bay. RA has now joined the club.

In RA and here is there are difference between people but IMHO the southern area (MISOOL) of RA is certainly the best for divers with numerous fantastic dive sites.

It is not that one area is better than the other, the question you need to be asking is what do I want to see. If you want to see some sharks, schools of jacks, barracuda, great reefs, and some critters then you do a LOB trip that does Fathers and Witus Islands.

Most people will not notice the diversification of marine life (as they are not ichthyologist's) and as such do not appreciate the RA for what it is.

Both areas can be difficult to get to (flights)

Both areas are seasonal

If you want macro life the either Milne Bay or Lembeh, or even Secret Bay in Bali

Corals and reefs in Kimbe bay and fantastic (Susans, Kirsty Jaynes, christines, North Emma and Ottos being some of my favourites

Dive sites in Southern RA are fantastic as well (Boo, Kaleidoscope, The Net, Fiabacet, Warakaret, Wagmag being some of my favourites, )

I'd like to go to Indonesia after the beginning of next year, the problem is that I really don't know where to start from, and would like especially to avoid the rainny season and bad visibility. I've heard that there are two seaons in the same time in Indonesia, so afer reading all your interesting comments, would be march a good season to start from or later would be better otherwise from when in march ? I like the big stuff, and oh well, good variation of the marine fauna too for taking pictures.
I know, Indonesia is wide. So raja ampat and sulawesi would be good to star from where else ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom