Liveaboard Quality and Reef Health for GBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaseyF

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I am trying to assess where to go when i hit town at the end of march.

Trying to find the best 2/3 day boat and dive sites that have not been hit hard by bleaching in the past, or have mostly recovered.

Cairns for 5 days, hoping to not be discouraged by the reef health or the boat and/or operators... any suggestions and feedback is appreciated! thanks!

-Casey

Hey. I have been out with Reef Encounter on two different occasions, and would go back in a heartbeat. They run a service called 'Top Deck' which gives you a dedicated dive guide, state room and a few other bell and whistles. You pay for the privilege but in my opinion its worth every cent. They dive the usual suspects, in term of Saxon and Normal Reefs for example, and I went back mid last year specifically because of all I had heard about the bleaching. Not minimising anything, but I had a marine biologist tell me that the GBR has been there millions of years before we were and its going to be there millions of years after we're gone! Its going through a marine cycle that has been happening for thousands of years, and it will rejuvenate itself over time. I saw one small amount of bleaching in 3 days, but was encouraged to see new growth becoming well established too. I had it explained much the same way as a bush fire, in that while its a disaster at the time, the eco system comes back and rejuvenates bigger and better than before. I'm sure there are counter arguments for all of this, so I guess it all comes down to personal experience (as mentioned above). I love the GBR and I'll be back again for sure. Cheers and happy diving, Don. PS If you had longer, someone like Mike Ball would be great too, as they get to the very outer reefs like the Cod Hole etc., which operators like Reef Encounter don't.

Go for outer reef... Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom both do trips where to fly to or from Lizard Island so maximise diving time futher away from Cairns

Probably a bit late to book one of the major liveaboards. They book out almost a year in advance.

If you can get on the Spirit of Freedom, I would reccommend them. I was on there in September for the 3d/4n Cod Hole trip and we had a great time. Staterooms were roomy, food was excellent, the boat had plenty of places to relax, dives were fantastic and the crew were all super friendly. I'd definitely go with them again (hope to do Osprey Reef sometime).

End of March? Just a heads up - there's a big low pressure system off the north Queensland coast right now which is likely to upgrade into a cyclone sometime on Monday (half the people in my department at work are taking this morning off to do cyclone preparations). If it does get upgraded, reef trips are likely to be cancelled.

Linky to details

17309727_1343961022326695_767616985401115185_n.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom