Liveaboard: Nekton or Peter Hughes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnarlysb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i have the chance to go on either the nekton or peter hughes liveaboards. The prices I have negotiated mean PH is about $500 more expensive. Which one do you think is better value and will be more fun?!? I am a young fairly new diver on my own! Cheers

I just got back from a trip to Belize on the Nekton Pilot. I had a great time. That was my only liveaboard experience so I can't compare with the Hughes boat. I'd bet you'll have a great time with either boat.

Both are good operations. I have been on both on the Belize itinerary and have a slight preferance for Nekton - but I am suceptible to motion sickness so Nekton is a much more comfortable trip for me. Just got back from a PH trip and enjoyed myself thouroughly. Would have no hesitation in recommending them - a well run operation and the staff was great but I spent the first couple of days fighting off sea sickness. Not actually sick, but had to be careful to stay that way.

The PH boat is smaller, the food slightly better and there are a few added "extras" included. For example beer and wine are included. Not relevant to me as at 5 dives a day I am not interested in drinking at all.

PH does the Blue Hole, Nekton does not. Personally I thought this dive a complete waste of a dive, completely underwelmed. You go down to 130 feet look at the rock formations for 2 minutes and then come back - a short boring dive IMHO - and then you can't dive until later in the day.

Nekton gives you more dives - 29 possible dives plus the opportunity to do two or three dawn dives. They return to dock late Friday night while PH returns Friday noon and the max is 26 dives and no dawn dives.

PH does more dive sites three a day while Nekton does two a day.

Bottom line PH is a bit more luxurious, Nekton a slight bit more focused on the diving. Is PH worth the extra $500 - not in my opinion. I would save the money and go with Nekton. However if you choose PH you will have a great time as well - you will just have less $ in your pocket.

I haven't been on any of the Nekton boats yet, but I've been on the Peter Hughes Belize boat twice and it's very nice. Nekton is usually seen as a better value, but it really depends what you want and how important the extra amenities are to you. I'm guessing the cabins are larger on the Nekton? Amd the Nekton would be more stable if that is an issue for you.

I wouldn't exactly call Nekton more focused on the diving. The PH boat does scheduled dive times rather than open dive deck like the Nekton, but it's 5 a day (most days) so pretty much the same to me. Usually I will stop at 4 a day anyway and am unlikely to get up for a dawn dive.

The Blue Hole might be a big difference in the trips. If you really want to do it the Nekton won't; the boat is too big to get in there. Peter Hughes will do it as long as the weather is ok; if it's really windy or whatever I believe they will skip it rather than chance getting slammed into the reef - they just fit, and have to be pretty careful going in. I did the BH since I was there anyway but I'm one of many who consider it a waste of time. I would have rather done a shallow dive on the rim of the hole where there was some life but they wouldn't let people do that. Also didn't like that they cut the dive schedule back to 3 that day. BH in the morning, picnic and hours of hangout time on Half Moon Cay over lunch, afternoon dive, night dive. Personally I would have preferred to have the option of 5 good dives, and eat lunch on the comfortable boat rather than a hot sandy beach.

Nekton and PH cabins are pretty close in terms of size. PH has TV's and a DVD player in the cabin Nekton does not.

I just spent a week on the Nekton (2nd week of December) and would highly recommend it. It was my 5th live-aboard and found it to be a great value for diving. I am very susceptible to motion sickness. I wear the patch for the first couple of days - never felt ill at all. Food was very good (remember its a dive boat, not a cruise ship), room was large - very large for a live-aboard, and the lounge areas were very nice and comfy. Dive platform is a little small. Entry / exit points are great.. Crew is fabulous - they make the trip even nicer.. Should have my photos up in a week or so..

We just got off the Pilot (which is the only liveaboard we've been on) but we had a chance to check out the PH Sundancer II at the Radisson dock. It is far superior in terms of accomodations. The queen size room we saw had the bed in the middle of the room (not against the wall like Nekton), I would say that because of the wall the room was laid out it actually was a little bigger or more room to walk around. Nice wood and flat screen tv's with dvd player in every room. Bathroom was a lot nicer with built in hairdryer which Nekton does not have. Basically it looked more like a mini cruise boat. Galley was beautiful and had a big screen tv. Nekton galley and lounge are bigger but much more dated looking. I totally agree about the stability on the Nekton, you still feel waves but probably not nearly as much due to the pontoons. While you do have to gear up and walk down a few stairs to jump in the water on the PH, I really liked the fact that everything was on one level (dunk tanks for gear, cameras, showers, wetsuit hangers, camera table and the best feature was that there was a huge space (at least a foot) between you and the next tank. It was not as conveinient on the Nekton that you hang the wetsuits two levels up on the sun deck, the camera table and dunk tank are on the second level and the showers are on the first level just off the dive platform. I took photos of both boats but it will take me a little time to get them all online. Food was great on the Nekton, it looked pretty nice on the PH though too. They also dock the Aggressor III there but they already had guests showing up so we didn't bother to check that one out.

thank you all, as ever, for the great advice. just a few more questions if you don't mind!

- will it be ok doing the liveaboard on my own as a relatively new diver??

- is the liveaboard diving likely to be a lot better than what i would experience, for example on ambergris caye

- finally (!) does anyone know the approximate price a week on AC or CC with diving, food, accom would be and how this compares to the liveaboards

Thank you in advance!!

Gnarlysb:

I was on the Pilot in Belize over Xmas, and the Sun Dancer II about three years ago. Both are great. The decor in the cabins and public areas is definitely more upscale on PH, but I found them both to be about equally comfortable in terms of accommodations. The crew on both boats were professional and great to spend the week diving with. The big thing I love about the Nekton boats is they are MUCH more stable (not to the point where you can't even tell you're on the ocean, but way better than a single-hull boat). To me the biggest advantage to this is when everyone's getting geared up and ready to get into the water -- much easier to cross the dive deck with a tank on your back if the boat's not rockin' & rollin'.

New diver on your own on a liveaboard.... If you're not bringing your own buddy, you'll be looking to find others on the boat to dive with. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes insta-buddies don't work out so well. Both boats will provide DMs to dive with at least some of the time (I don't know if they can spare DMs to dive with someone five times a day, though). As a new diver, I'd recommend trying to get to know the other guests as much as you can early in the trip to figure out who's going to be compatible to dive with. I try to look for people who have experience, know what they're doing, and have a real love of diving. I think you'll be fine.

I've never been diving from Ambergris Caye, so I can't speak to the dive sites. To me the main advantages of liveaboard diving over resort diving are: more dives per day, access to more remote sites, and no schlepping gear all week long. Just roll out of bed, grab breakfast, and go diving!

FWIW

A liveaboard is probably the best place for a solo traveller to dive. You will definitely meet with other solo travellers and finding a dive buddy will not be a problem. If there is not another guest for you to buddy with, a crew member will be your buddy. From a social standpoint, liveaboards are much easier for solo travellers to meet and talk with others than at a landbased resort.

Being a new diver is also not a problem and doing 4-5 dives a day will surely increase your confidence and skill level.

I've never dove Ambergris, but I believe it's widely accepted the diving at Lighthouse and Turneffe Atolls (liveaboard areas) is superior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom