Liveaboard in Komodo with a baby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

We´d like to get some advice/tips for our diving holiday planning. Me, my husband and our 9-10 month old baby will be travelling to Bali for the month of May, more specifically for 2.-28.5. We are AOWD certified with appr. 30 logged dives each, and would like to dive and snorkel as much as possible on our trip. Reliable and reasonably priced babysitting service while we are diving would be awesome at least now and then so that we could go diving together.

We are thinking of staying in Nusa Dua for 3N, Amed for 4N, Gili Air for 4N and Nusa Ceningan for 4N. That would take from 2nd of May until 17th and then we´d have another 11 days to go to Komodo or Bunaken. Komodo seems to show its best sides on a liveaboard trip. Are there any child and budget-friendly options in May that would allow a child onboard? We are flexible with the dates. From what I´ve read, Komodo is more recommended than Bunaken as far as diving goes. Is snorkeling possible in both places? How about babysitting on a liveaboard? Or are there good land based operators and resorts in the Komodo area where we could stay instead of a liveaboard? We are travelling on a budget and do not want to spend fortunes but want good value for our money.

Any tips are much appreciated!
icosm14.gif

Hi
I was on a liveaboard in Komodo last year and it is really a great area for diving. But I would not recommend it to rather inexperienced divers, especially a liveaboard trip.
At many dive sites the currents are really strong and the dives can be very demanding and also strenuous. This because of the amounts of water flowing through the channels between the islands.
Watch this video (a german documentary) https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dW8wBG7hSS0#t=145

Maybe it would be better for you to stay at a resort, maybe this one Komodo Resort - Diving Club.

Keep us updated :D

If you are going to Bali and thinking of a Komodo Livebaoard cruise, I strongly suggest choosing Mermaid I. For starters, unlike other Komodo liveaboard cruises, Mermaid boats set off from Benoa Harbour in Bali and thus there is no intermediary transfer involved. This should be more convenient with a baby in tow. Secondly, the crew of Mermaid I are among the best that I have been with and the boat is spacious and well-appointed.

Reactions: Heg
I suspect you may benefit from reading more online articles about practical live-aboard experiences. Crews tend to be hard working for long hours; I doubt a baby sitting service is going to exist. There's not going to be a children's play area, either. For that matter, if the toddler gets sick, then what? You may think turning the boat around & heading back to port to seek an antibiotic for an ear infection, or get a bad case of bronchitis assessed by a Pediatrician, is a fine idea. The boat load of people who flew half-way around the world & paid out several grand for the 'trip of a lifetime' may see it differently.

I highly suggest you ditch the idea of taking a young toddler on a live-board.

Richard.

I don't know of any liveaboard that will allow you to take a 10 month old unless you pay for a nanny too. You might get a break on the price for the nanny, but by the time you add up the price for the nanny, the price for the baby, the price for the nanny to be on the boat, I'm sure you can kennel the little feller much less expensively.

What I do, with a wife & toddler, is I take them and the mother-in-law along, and I go day trips while they do whatever, then I join them in the evenings. And take the last day (Friday) off to spend the day together. Yes, I get the 'stink eye' for not spending more family time, but my wife & toddler get to spend more time with 'grandma,' in some traveled to places, where I take photographs and build memories.

Richard.

MH:
Me, my husband and our 9-10 month old baby will be travelling...

Any tips?

Sure... don't even consider bringing a baby on a liveaboard. Your dedication to diving is admirable. However it's just plain silly financially, logistically, socially, and nearly any other "___ally" you can think of.

As a father of two kids - now 17 and 11 - who has traveled with them extensively since they were born I will advise that you don't even move around as much as you are planning to. The idea of 4 nights here, 3 nights there... sort of travel probably oughta go on your "someday" list at this point in your life. Babies don't deal well with that kind of disruption. My kids couldn't deal with three Hawaiian island during the month of August... and that was just last year when they were 16 and 10!

:D

Sure... don't even consider bringing a baby on a liveaboard.
I suggest you check with the operators. All that I have been on have a minimum age (generally at least 10 years old, sometimes 15 years). Note that these are minimum passenger age, not a minimum diver age. In general they do not want children running about.

This restriction may vary by region?

Back
Top Bottom