Liveaboard - Aqua Cat vs. Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks...

The wife and I are planning a trip to celebrate a big event next year. We have decided on going with a Liveaboard, but need some help from people familiar with the destinations and operations.

The front-runners for this trip are the Aqua Cat and the Southern Bahanas. The operations look pretty comparable to me, but there is a pretty big price differentail, around $400 per person. I know that Aqua Cat dives exclusively in Exuma, while Explorer hits a few different areas. Can anyone let me the differences between these boats and itineraries? I am interested in hearing comparisons between dive locations, amenities, food, crew, etc. I have been on an Aggressor trip in the past, so I am familiar with Liveaboard operations. Just trying to determine if Aqua Cat is worth the additional $800 (potentially $1,800 if we book a $500 off package with Explorer).

Thanks!

Been on all three operations. Aggressor -- 5 years ago (in Bay Islands), Aquacat -- 2 years ago in Exumas, Explorer -- last month on the San Salvador itinerary. In general, I'd put Aggressor in the middle as far as overall quality of food, drink and accommodations.

Aquacat is definitely a first class experience. Exumas diving is shallower than Southern Bahamas on Explorer and current in Exumas is more of an issue. You'll have more opportunities to do off-boat stuff like hanging out at a beach alone or getting ashore someplace for an afternoon hike or snorkle. Aquacat has a 26' tender which they will use to ferry you anyplace you like (within reason). The Exumas are just full of small islands with beaches that are uninhabited. My non-diving spouse just loved the Aquacat. It would definitely afford you more quiet time alone. Rooms are spacious and have a large (5'x3') window. Sit down dinners with tablecloths are the norm.

Explorer is definitely a great value. If the focus is on dive, dive, dive go with them. Southern Bahamas (Conception and San Salvador Islands) are pretty much all wall dives -- fairly pristine and you get to dive your brains out -- 27 dives on our itinerary. Nitrox is a MUST. No shore excursions or dockside options offered except at start and end of trip. Rooms are 1/2 the size of Aquacat, but are clean, have their own heads/showers and the A/C is solid. Meals are less formal and booze is free, varied and abundant (like with Aquacat).

I'd go back and do either in a heartbeat -- and probably will.

Thanks a bunch! That's just the kind of insight I was looking for. :)

I've not been on the Aquacat but just did Explorer last month as well. Also, did the Turks & Caicos Explorer a couple years ago. They seem to run a good operation and the CEX II was a lot of fun. They have a good crew aboard that works well as a team and takes good care of the divers. As bcaderunr said, it's pretty much dive, dive, dive. I got in 25 dives on the trip.

I agree with everyone else about Explorer Ventures. We did their Exumas trip last June and it was great. You can't beat the price, decent enough accommodations, good food, tons of diving, crew was fun and professional. Will definitely book with them again.

For the Southern Bahamas EV is the best for the diving. Boat to boat you can't beat the AC, but the Exumas is just not as good as Conception and San Salvidor. I would do either anytime and both are top of the game. The Cat is the best boat in the Atlantic/Caribbean so to me it depends on the diving and what your looking for. The food on the AC is the best I have ever had, except maybe the Fiji Aggressor? Here is the latest Cat trip: http://twotankedproductions.com/traveltripinformation/aquacat2010.html You can find the EV on the site as well.

Whale sharks are not very common in the Bahamas, at least in the Exuma areas.....

Back
Top Bottom