Little info on RIU Rivera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahidoodi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:goldfish:Hi All;

Pardon me if this was aked before but I am planning a trip to Playa Del Carmen and staying at RIU Rivera Maya in June. Does anybody know if :
1-There is a dive shop in that hotel. If not, what is a good dive operation to go with. I have to mention that I received an Email from 'Playa Scuba Dive Center' who asked me if this hotel is in Playa Car and if so they would pick me up.
2- Also, is diving in this area drift diving like Coz? I guess it would be being across the water from it, but it would be good to know.
3- Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
:turtle:

My son and I did the Cenotes with Playa Scuba a few weeks ago. Luis and Klaus run a great operation. You will be very pleased if you dive with them.

I have always used Abyss in Playa. It's about a $5 cab ride for you each way. Dove both reefs and Ceynotes with them and highly recommend. Diving is driff diving however not as much current as Cozumel. Make sure you wear a 3 mil in the ceynotes as the water temp is around 74 degrees. There are a lot of dive reports from the area in the forums, here is one I wrote a while back:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/59934-playa-del-carmen-trip-report.html

My family and I will be in Playa June 12 - 18, so I may run into you.

I have always used Abyss in Playa. It's about a $5 cab ride for you each way. Dove both reefs and Ceynotes with them and highly recommend. Diving is driff diving however not as much current as Cozumel. Make sure you wear a 3 mil in the ceynotes as the water temp is around 74 degrees. There are a lot of dive reports from the area in the forums, here is one I wrote a while back:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/59934-playa-del-carmen-trip-report.html

My family and I will be in Playa June 12 - 18, so I may run into you.
ednedfred;

Thanks for that report. That basically answers all of my questions. My concern about drift diving is not to go through the experience I had at Coz last year (waiting to be picked up over 30 minutes, I reported on my trip here last year). I totally understand your point about the new diver as I had to also come up in one of my dives at Coz because I was paired up with one. But as I look at my dive log and remember some of my early dives I feel empathy for my buddy on my early dives. I appreciate your feedback about Abyss and I will try to get in touch with them. Diving in Bonaire, I am spoiled about diving whenever and where ever I want. Although I have been to Coz several times, this is the first time at PDC so I am trying to get as much info as possible. I did Dos Ojos back in 94 , well I don't think it has changed much since then except may be it is been over dived (if there is such a thing). I like reef diving and I am over macro life and more into micro these days. We'll see what haoppens and I will report here as soon as I get back. I would have loved to meet you and the family, but I will be there June 1-8. Thanks Again.

:goldfish:Hi All;

Pardon me if this was aked before but I am planning a trip to Playa Del Carmen and staying at RIU Rivera Maya in June. Does anybody know if :
1-There is a dive shop in that hotel. If not, what is a good dive operation to go with. I have to mention that I received an Email from 'Playa Scuba Dive Center' who asked me if this hotel is in Playa Car and if so they would pick me up.
2- Also, is diving in this area drift diving like Coz? I guess it would be being across the water from it, but it would be good to know.
3- Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
:turtle:

I haven't dived there in two years, but can give you my experience as I remember it.

The dive op at the Riu complex is Scuba Caribe. There is a pretty extensive shop on the beach as I remember. The staff was pretty good for their age--most are young, and healthy. There was adequate briefings and emphasis on safety.

The boats (six packs) picked us up at the beach where we waded out with our gear, less tanks, to approximately waist deep water and climbed aboard. The particular days I was diving there was just me and one other diver, the instructor and the boat captain. Getting in the water was a charm, doing the back roll, one of my favorites. Getting back on we took off our BC and it was hauled aboard. Then we climbed the ladder.

Some may not like to do boats this way, but I am 60 years old and just figure it to be different. I don't feel slighted in the least to have to expend some energy, so long as getting back on the boat is safe.

Two dives I'd recommend are Tortuga and a wreck called Mama Nina. The diving, as you expect, is drifting. Reefs range from about 80' to shallow. Rather flat, rolling hills so to speak, but interesting. Lots of turtles on Tortuga. I believe I saw 28 on one dive.

Momma Nina is a nice little boat, penetrable and had a lot of silver sides inside with a large schoal of jacks outside and a good sized green moray under the stern. There was another member in the water with us doing the normal video, which you can buy.

The reefs are not as spectacular as Coz, but then how do you compare. I've been a lot of places diving. Some are good and some are better. None are really what I'd call bad. The Riviera Maya is what I'd call different and interesting. Your bottom times will not be as long as you may be used to (30-50minutes), but such is life. I like diving my computer, but can compromise once in a while.

Something else you might consider is a trip to the cenotes. Whether Scuba Caribe does this I do not know. Somebody else will help you with this.

Another option is to do a search here for Playacountryboy. He's a member here and located in Playa del Carmen. I'm thinking of booking with him this June when I'm down that way. In fact I'm considering paying an extra $15 per day and just chartering the boat and diving my computer or air supply. That way I can do some 80-90 minute dives--if he'll let me.

NOW, please consider that what all I've told you about the reefs is Pre-Wilma. I have no idea about the reefs now. I've been to Coz both before and after and see the difference. Still, I'd rather go and dive, see for myself, and not rely on somebody's subjective commentary of what the reefs are like. Besides, I'm going to be there anyway with the family. Might as well go diving.

bfisher;

Thanks for that report. I also dived Coz before and after Wilma and I saw the devestation on some reefs. My expectation is lowered at this point but I think spending any time submerged beats laying on the chair next to a pool. I will report on my trip after I return. thanks for everybody's feedback.

bfisher;

Thanks for that report. I also dived Coz before and after Wilma and I saw the devestation on some reefs. My expectation is lowered at this point but I think spending any time submerged beats laying on the chair next to a pool. I will report on my trip after I return. thanks for everybody's feedback.

I believe that during Wilma, in PDC and south, most of the wind was coming from the West and NW (mainland), so wave-related damage would be minimal. Coz experienced the opposite (and probably a little bit of everything).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom