Little Cayman - Short trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cduffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I just returned from a short dive vacation in Little Cayman. We stayed at Pirates Point Resort for the first time and were very happy with the food, accomodations, diving and dive service. We traveled on Thursday, dove Fri, Sat and Sun, and returned home on Monday. The weather was perfect -- high 80's, breezy. The seas were calm and the water temp 80-82 degrees. Pirates Point was a little different from the resorts where we've stayed before. The guests, for the most part, are a little older. I may have been one of the youngest divers, and I'm 41. It is really laid-back, but the result is that nearly everyone we dove with were really experienced divers. Most guests there were repeat visitors, some have been there at least once a year for 10+ years.

Oh, but the diving! THE DIVING!! Our dive guides were really great. The coral and fish were healthy and abundant. We saw black tip sharks off the wall, several stingrays, large grouper, and many turtles. I saw my first seahorse. Apparently one of the dive masters there is trying to catalog the location and number of seahorses, so she's really good at spotting them. Pirates Point does two dives per day, but they do really long profiles. Breakfast at 8:00, on the boat by about 9:30, the first deep dive about an hour long, or until you're out of air, 1 hour surface interval, and another 1 hour dive, then back to the resort for lunch at about 2 pm. We dove a site called Randy's gazebo -- it is a must do, in my opinion, if you get to LC. It is probably in my top 2 most beautiful dive sites. Others may disagree, as I've had about 100 dives limited to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and the BVI.

We can't wait to return for a longer trip.

cduffey once bubbled...
My husband and I just returned from a short dive vacation in Little Cayman. We stayed at Pirates Point Resort for the first time and were very happy with the food, accomodations, diving and dive service. ....

Nice place to stay with (IMHO) Caribbean diving at it's best, isn't it?

How's Gladys?

Appreciate the report....I am interested in that area.

Can you tell me what is there to do for non-divers???
thanks

We were not there long enough to really explore the island. Our goal was great diving and de-stressing from a rather difficult couple of previous months. I do understand that there are a couple of places on the island that are fantastic snorkeling sites, and a beautiful beach. Paradise Point supplies bicycles and there is a rental car agency. The day we left a couple had come in with their teen agers and were planning on 10 days of exploring the island. Oh, I was also surprised that there is a spa down the road. I didn't check it out, but would definitely schedule a massage if I had been there for a full week.

donacheson once bubbled...

Nice place to stay with (IMHO) Caribbean diving at it's best, isn't it?

How's Gladys?

Gladys seems great. She's a real character, isn't she? Her cooking is still outstanding.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Appreciate the report....I am interested in that area.

Can you tell me what is there to do for non-divers???
thanks

The massage is definitely the thing to do! I had my first on the island. Verry niice after a day of diving. Other than that there is not much to do but ride a bike, lay on the beach and watch the boobys (birds that is).

Pirates Point on Little Cayman. After the week spent relaxing and diving on Little Cayman, they proceded on to Grand Cayman. They stayed at the most posh resort, the Hyatt. The whole family now agrees, that they would take Little Cayman with it's laid back atmosphere coupled with the awesome diving, anytime over the Hyatt and diving on GC.

Green with envy,
Caymaniac :eek:ut:

I agree wholeheartedly. I, too, have done the GC resort thing, and LC is soooooo much better. I don't know if LC would be the thing if you had little kids with you. (please don't bring them when I'm visiting there -- it was so nice to be on a resort where everyone was legal to drink!!)

Tyhere are condos on LC that are perfect for kids. Check them out at : http://www.conchclub.com/condominiums.html The resort is right down the road for food and booze. The kids won't bother anyone. :D

Back
Top Bottom