Little Cayman Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharksighter

Reaction score
We are headed Little Cayman April 16th and will be staying and diving at Pirates Point. Anyone have any secret spots for snorkelling or tips for sights to see while we are there? We are already planning on kayaking to Owens Island and snorkeling at Point of Sand. Thanks for any input.

Congrats! In the words of my 18 year old babysitter. . ."Little Cayman is da bomb!"

THAD:
We are headed Little Cayman April 16th and will be staying and diving at Pirates Point. Anyone have any secret spots for snorkelling or tips for sights to see while we are there? We are already planning on kayaking to Owens Island and snorkeling at Point of Sand. Thanks for any input.

Sounds cool. I just booked Southern Cross Club, Little Cayman for June.

Hope you have a great time. Let us know when your return?

THAD:

Hope you have as good a time as my wife and I just did. We just got back from a week at Southern Cross, and it was about as perfect as it gets. We did all but 2 dives on the north side (Bloody Bay and Jackson's Bay), but my only snorkeling was puddling around a bit during my SI between dives. One of the staff at the resort did snorkel over at Preston Bay on her day off and said it was great. She said that the access they used was 9 poles past (west of) Pirate's Point, so you should have some opportunities right in your front yard. :crafty:

We (3 couples - wives non divers) just got back from a week on Little Caymen. The diving was fabulous, weather great and the Island quiet and relaxing. My wife loves to snorkel and we went 3 afternoons. Once just past Pirate's point and then once futher down to where the main N/S road intersected on the south side of the island. This was the best spot. Easy access out to the reef and good vis for snorkelling. I don't know what the entertainment situation is like at Pirates Point but if you are looking for something to do on Friday night the Little Caymen Beach Resort Karaoke night got pretty wild. Overall it was a great week.

Congratulations! We stay at Southern Cross and love it. We rode bikes around the island and jumped in and swam around everywhere. We found good snorkelling off the beach near Bloody Bay Wall. The anchorages are close in and we snorkelled the exact same places we dove in the morning.

TrainerAW

RP Diver:
One of the staff at the resort did snorkel over at Preston Bay on her day off and said it was great. She said that the access they used was 9 poles past (west of) Pirate's Point, so you should have some opportunities right in your front yard. :crafty:

The area to the immediate west of PP is a bit shallow for snorkeling; the Preston Bay area is a bit deeper and is roughly a 200yd walk down the beach, or 200yds down the road, then 75yds up a sandy road to the beach. Probably worth walking the road once to see where the 'recommended' entry/exit point is, and who has piled what sort of landmark on the beach to mark the spot, then you can just walk the beach (and/or snorkel) back towards PP. Be aware of windward wave/winds and of longitudinal currents.

You might have Salt Rocks recommended to you, but this is officially a "No Swimming" area. If you decide to go anyway, do very carefully scope out your *exit* plan before you get in...wave action, slimey rocks and ironshore here makes that thing that looks like a "staircase" on the right side not as good as one would first assume. I'd make it a point to go with a buddy and immediately test exiting before the 2nd person gets in. If you do get stuck, there's sometimes are ropes and/or improvised ladders hidden nearby that your buddy can use to rescue you with.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom