Little Cayman Beach Resort - good with kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thacci

New
Reaction score
We would like to take our children with us to LCBR in March. Does the resort have any babysitting while we dive and is it kid friendly?? Also we are interested in snorkeling with them - is the snorkeling good right off the beach?

I've never seen anything about babysitting, or seen many (if any) children around. Certainly no organized kids stuff and the population of the island is very small, so I don't think it's like some places where hotels will have a list up of babysitters they can arrange. Kids of whatever age would have to be pretty good at amusing themselves.

I've never seen anyone snorkel off the beach - it's very shallow in that area and basically just sand. I've seen an occasional snorkeler go along on a dive boat. They do have kayaks for rent but I don't know if there's even anyplace else in the lagoon with snorkeling.

thacci:
We would like to take our children with us to LCBR in March. Does the resort have any babysitting while we dive and is it kid friendly?? Also we are interested in snorkeling with them - is the snorkeling good right off the beach?

I stayed at LCBR last July and saw several kids there, diving and non diving. The ones who "stayed behind" did have a babysitter. I imagine you have to arrange that with the hotel before you get there. The kids seemed to hang out at the pool and a "game room" at LCBR. I even saw some playing tennis.

There are a few nice places to snorkel on Little Cayman, but in front of the LCBR is not one of them. You can ride bicycles to some nice snorkeling beaches, and take a picnic if you want.

I would say, depending on the ages of your children, they would be fine there while you were diving. I think the thing you might want to consider is the expense. It can be quite pricey (air plus add-on room/board & babysitting) on Little Cayman. Would your kids rather be there with you or home with grandparents :) ??

Hope that helps.

How old are your kids? There's no organized children's activities or anything like that. You should definitely contact them directly to see if they can schedule a babysitter - with only a few hundred residents you might find yourself out of luck if one person is off island at the moment.

You'll definitely have to be creative about finding activities for your kids while you aren't diving - there's a beach, a small pool, tennis courts, and a pool table, and that's about it.

Personally, and purely IMHO, I wouldn't take any non-divers to Little Cayman - I'd go someplace with more non-diver activities and save the LC trip until I could go with divers only. It's just too expensive to bring people who can't appreciate what is really its only attraction.

I never saw any kids while we were there, they probably have a local that can babysit but I haven't heard about it. I have seen a local on the Brac however, at the Brac Reef and the Divi. On GC there are allot more families than on the sister Islands as far as tourists go.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

LCBR would be one of the last resorts that I would take non-diving kids because of the lack of activities for kids. If you take kids there, accept the reality that you want great diving for yourself and don't really care if the kids get bored.

thacci:

Hi

Little Cayman has no facilities for children unless they are into nature.

LCBR would be one of the best places to take kids as there is enough extra help to watch them and children are commonly seen there.

Little Cayman is prized for remoteness. For most of the island, transportation is by bicycle or walking. Rental cars are rare, and pointless unless you want to reach Point of Sands, which is under 5mi away. You can be driven there by LCBR staff. Point of Sands is the best snorkeling in the island but has strong currents not far from shore, its not snorkeling for children and even trickier for adults. Little Cayman is ~ 1.5 wide, and 10mi long. Its safest to snorkel at Jackson's Bight, up to its buoy. That's up to 400' from shore.

You can snorkel in the lagoon infront of LCBR, but its full of turtle grass. The coral heads are too far from shore and once you are close to good heads its too close to the breaker reef, where the currents are strong and rip to the open sea. The wall is not far from that reef, abyssal and rapidly deep.

I was looking through Rodales mag yesterday and saw an advertisment where they have a "kids week" 7/11-7/17 where they have stuff for kiddos to do while mom and dad are diving. The resorts offering this are Carib Sands & Brac Caribbean website http://www.866thebrac.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom