Little Cayman Beach Resort - Book direct or TA? Which meal plan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is my curse...I would love to go do some liveaboard trips, but I don't know how much I will enjoy them if I am puking the whole time or zonked out on dramamine/scopalamine all trip. I actually usually do fine with breakfast as long as I avoid orange juice. But I have chummed at 80' underwater as well.

Sounds like reflux disease, or something like that. Buddy of mine had similar problems. Doc gave him a pill, no more problems.

LC is outstanding by Carribean standards but does not compare to Pacific sites like Palau or Fiji. But then again, you can't get from Miami to Fiji in 3 hours either. It depends on how much time you have as well as budget, but there is no possible comparison.

On the other hand, LC in my opinion, is significantly better diving than Coz, GC or Bonaire, and still relatively easy to get to. At the airport on LC, there actually is a cordon rope between the parking area and the airplane taxi area. The roadway to the West end of the island actually runs South of the airstrip. There is no risk of planes and cars running into each other.

Travelling to and from LC is quite civilized these days and I don't think people should be frightened off by exagerated comments about grass strips, cars, herons etc.

Oh, I wasn't trying to scare anybody off. I was just remembering how it used to be. I think the whole thing is kind of quaint in a "Fantasy Island" kind of way. I always expect to see Mr. Roark step out of the LCBR van to welcome us while Tatu carries dive bags bigger than he is to the van.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 05:29 PM ----------

Sounds like reflux disease, or something like that. Buddy of mine had similar problems. Doc gave him a pill, no more problems.

The main issue I have is that there are just a few foods that give me the urps. If I am on land, no problem. But put me horizontal underwater, and the urps have a hard time getting out without wanting to bring something with them. As long as I avoid those foods before I dive, no problem. I can eat eggs, bacon, toast, waffles, etc. and wash it down with apple juice or milk or whatever and I will be fine. But slip in even a half glass of OJ and I will be at risk of hurling if the seas are even remotely up.

When underwater, the pressure in your stomach tends to increase in relation to the esophagus, producing acid reflux, and this is exacerbated by being horizontal or inverted. People who have a bit of heartburn on land may well get worse underwater. Things that might help are: not eating very much before diving, avoiding acidic, greasy and or spicy foods. Over the counter or prescription proton pump inhibitors ( acid decreasing medications ) would help as well. Sea sickness is an entirely different process.

I noticed LCBR has not (at least to my knowledge) offered packages on their web site with three meals/day and only two dives per day. Has anyone ever asked for that kind of package and had it quoted to them? Three dives per day for me is a bit much. I like to veg in the afternoon in a pool. :)

They usually do those packages as their fall special in August-October timeframe. I just arrived at LCBR today and we are on a 2 dive per day and 3 meal per day package for 1388pp for 7 days. Got an email that they are offering same ppackage in January if you book by end of September I think.

I have been to LCBR many times and can tell you the meal options are limited. The 3 meal plan is the best deal for the money. You don't have to worry about what to eat, when to prepare it or if it is going to be ready before the afternoon boat leaves. All meals are right there, ready for you to partake.

As far as booking thru a travel agent or the resort itself, I always book with the resort and we fly Cayman Airways, booking that ourselves, but then again we fly direct from TPA to Grand Cayman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom