Liters to CF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A 15 liter tank is = to a ? Cubic Foot tank.

Just type anything into Google!
Its the king baby! There's a reason why.

"15L to Cubic Feet"

That will get you half way there 0.529720001
The other half is that the metric liters are actual volume, not standard cubic feet.
So you need to calculate that down to standard cubic feet.
If its a 3442 PSI tank it would be (3442/14.7)x 0.529720001 = about 120 cubic feet

Metric tanks are measured by the actual volume - a 15l tank will hold 15l of water. Imperial tanks measure the amount of air the tank will hold at its working pressure, so an AL80 only has 80cf of air in it when it is pumped to 207 bar/3000psi, so in order to answer your question we need to know the working pressure of the Imperial tank.

So a 15l is also = 108cf/3000psi

Note: Modern metric cylinders are available in 232bar (3365psi) or 300bar (4350psi)

thanks for the info. What's happening is that my buddy doesn't have BP/W setup. He has a new "Jacket" BC. He's thinking of ordering a bracket from Oceanic that makes his BC "doubles capable". He said that the website states that with the bracket, the BC can handle two 15L tanks.
With what you guys stated, I guess that explains why my "conversion calculator" was giving me .52 CF.
He's got a 30lb lift BC. I'm not too sure that it will be enough, so what does it mean when Oceanic says it can handle two 15L tanks?

thanks for the info. What's happening is that my buddy doesn't have BP/W setup. He has a new "Jacket" BC. He's thinking of ordering a bracket from Oceanic that makes his BC "doubles capable". He said that the website states that with the bracket, the BC can handle two 15L tanks.
With what you guys stated, I guess that explains why my "conversion calculator" was giving me .52 CF.
He's got a 30lb lift BC. I'm not too sure that it will be enough, so what does it mean when Oceanic says it can handle two 15L tanks?

I dive with 30 and 40lb wings all the time on my singles setup using 95 and 120 lp, and 100 and 120 HP steel tanks. I have also used a set of 120 HP steel tanks and a 55 lb wing.

Remember that his wing/BCD jacket needs to be able to float him and all his gear at the surface. Under ideal conditions a 30 lb. wing might work but I seriously doubt it. If you look at the full negative weight of either HP or LP steel tanks you're probably going to find he doesn't have enough lift. And don't forget about the weight he may need to wear to sink his drysuit or wetsuit.

Talk to him about buying a BP/W for doubles and he will have something that will work properly. I have a Black Diamond and Scuba Pro Knighthawk that both have 50 lbs of lift. With either I would have enough lift but just wouldn't use them for doubles.

Talk to him about buying a BP/W for doubles and he will have something that will work properly.

He just bought his BC last year and after seeing how much I spent for my BP/W, he knows it's going to hurt him in the pockets to have to switch now. But if 30lbs isn't enough, I'll be trying to help him find a hell of a deal with a complete BP/W setup.

all4scuba: The Oceanic website is letting the customer know that the BC bracket will fit really big tanks, up to 8 inch dia. It has nothing to do with conversion factors and math.
Pesky

Makes more sense now. 30 lbs lift for dual tanks sounded too good to be true. Hope he didn't order the bracket. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom