list of fundamental exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any exercises you'd like to share?

Diving is supposed to be fun!

Just hover motionless and enjoy being one with the water - there's no better way to wrap up a dive. By the way buoyancy, propulsion, and trim = the holy trinity of diving.

Blue32.jpg

When you can fall asleep and still hold your safety stop... everything else is easy.

:D

Practicing CESA can be dangerous, but I added it with a warning.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2015 at 04:37 PM ----------

#9 is sharing air.

Yeah, the list is too long to try to cover in one go, but might serve useful as a source to find new things to practice.

Adding that CESA practise can be dangerous is a good idea.
I read the CESA link thread--various opinions on how to do it (exhaling, airway open vs. "ahhh", etc.). One point made was it may be more advisable to practise it if you solo dive a lot--I guess major equipment failure and no buddy to share with. Of course, barring the bizarre, you never should have to do a CESA. I would presume the danger in practising it is that one may not do it correctly and have a barotrauma or drown. Or ascending too fast so you insure you "make it all the way" without inhaling. If one is ascending too fast or ingesting water during a practise CESA there are other problems to be solved before practising a CESA.

Another thing to consider is that it is one of the skills you are taught in OW course. As long as it is done properly, it is one that should be practised, like all of them.

Levels of Skill Accomplishment in Diving

1. Cannot conduct skill.
2. Conducts skill poorly, with major errors.
3. Conducts skill poorly, with minor errors.
4. Conducts skill properly, requires complete focus on the skill.
5. Conducts skill properly, with little distraction.
6. Conducts skill properly, with no impediment to situational awareness.
7. Conducts skill properly, in combination with other skills and requirements.
8. Conducts skill properly, instinctively and with zero impact on other functions.

Most recreational instructors would define 'mastery' of a specific skill around level #4.
Most recreational divers are content to dive around level #5.
Many recreational divemasters and instructors operate around level #6 (can dive and maintain supervision)
Most technical instructors would define 'mastery' of a specific skill around level #6 or #7.
Competent divers operate at level #7 (regardless of their level of training).
Accomplished divers operate at level #8 (regardless of their level of training).

1. Cannot conduct skill.
2. Conducts skill poorly, with major errors.
3. Conducts skill poorly, with minor errors.

+1

A new trainee said to me once, "Is it even possible to do that?"

Very nice to see it spelled out. That post probably belongs in your next book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom