Liquid Image Video Scuba Mask HD321

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will post soon, having some computer troubles.

No pictures yet? How was the mask itself? Good fit? Comfortable? How was the still camera? Can you turn off the audio? I'm leaving for Key West Saturday and am intrigued by this.

Here are a few video's I posted that I made with my Liquid Image HD Video mask. Make sure to change the video setting on youtube to watch them in 720p (HD).
Old wooden wreck in New Jersey: YouTube - Unknown Old Wooden Wreck July 2010 - Liquid Image HD Video Mask
Same wreck showing me getting tangled in line: YouTube - Tangled while NJ wreck diving
Dutch Springs with Koi: YouTube - Scuba Diving at Dutch Springs wearing Liquid Image HD Video Mask

The mask fits fine and is comfortable. The still camera takes good pictures, but its sometimes hard to tell if you are aimed right at the intended target. You cannot turn off the audio, and the bubble sound can get pretty annoying when watching the video. I have to edit the sound in Windows Movie Maker. More reason to get a rebreather.

The instructions are very important. I took it on a trip to Pelham, Alabama (DiveAlabama.com) to try out during a DUI Dog Rally and I was a little disappointed. It WOULD NOT SEAL. i HAVE A FAT FACE, BUT AN X-LARGE HD321 SHOULD COVER IT NO PROB. I tried so much vaseline to try and get it to seal, I looked like a boxer in the eight round. I am trying it one more time and I am going to let smaller people than me try. I will be at Vortex Springs 4/23/2011, and Morrison Springs the following day. It is a great concept and has huge possibilities, I hope I get it to work this time. Check back Monday. Happy Easter!

I have one and have used it on a number of dives.

PROS: Good images, both for camera and video, especially with adequate lighting.

CONS:

1. This is the MAJOR problem and from everyone I have spoken to who has had one or knows someone that does they have encountered the same issue. You MUST make sure you thoroughly clean the mask prior to diving or it WILL fog up on you. I have cleaned it a dozen times and it still fogs up on me if I leave it in the sun for a minute before diving. I try to keep it in the water bucket until I'm about to enter the water and then I don't have a fogging issue. Otherwise all bets are off.

2. The lens angle is very small so practice in a pool or outside to make sure you know how to line up the angles before using. I missed some spectacular video because I chopped off my target when viewing it from my goggle. It is best with distance shots, the closer you get the more likely you will miss some of the target on your video.

3. battery life is quite short. I use lithium batteries and I got about 3 hours of video before I had to change batteries. I think rechargeables would be a lot less. Regular batteries seemed to work for about an hour or so. I have replaced them with lithium batteries again so I will let you know if they last any longer this time. So far I've done about 2+ hours on the lithium. Be safe and carry spares in your scuba bag.

4. Since the camera is attached to your head you really have to discipline yourself to be steady when diving. I have gotten better at this but it takes some getting used to when diving and videoing.

5. It can be difficult to be sure you are videoing something. Often I though the video was running when I was targeting a shark or turtle or what not but then I found that it was off when I returned to the boat (not the best time to figure it out). This has caused me to resort to starting the video before I dive and running it the whole time while down there. This tends to waste memory (only 2GB) so either you need to get a card with more memory, really pay attention to make sure the thing is running when trying to video, or bring a laptop with you so you can save each dive on it to preserve memory space (my method).

With all that being said it can work and produce memorable videos and photos. You just have to be aware of what you are doing and practice, practice, PRACTICE!

I am still new to the whole videography, as my videos will show (and which keeps me from posting the horrible ones I've edited on this site), so those of you with more experience might find the Cons I've listed to be applicable only to novices like myself. I do have a great 5 second video of a moray eel that once I edit I will post. Unfortunately the camera was off when I had the opportunity to shoot a lionfish being eaten by a spotted moray eel (which coiled itself around the lion fish before devouring it) but I'm hoping to recoup that loss on my next dive trip with another great photo op.

Anyway, if you get one best of luck and lets see what you shot!

I bought one about two years ago and was overall disappointed with it.

The resolution looks great, but my biggest problem is the focus range. While the box had said it was something like .5m to infinity, the actual range was more like .5m to maybe 20 feet maximum.

Quite a discrepancy! I was sorely disappointed in this. Basically, the camera is incredibly nearsighted. I called up Liquid Image to bring this to their attention. I hope they either made their camera's focus better or at least corrected the information on the box.

I

I bought one about two years ago and was overall disappointed with it.

The resolution looks great, but my biggest problem is the focus range. While the box had said it was something like .5m to infinity, the actual range was more like .5m to maybe 20 feet maximum.

Quite a discrepancy! I was sorely disappointed in this. Basically, the camera is incredibly nearsighted. I called up Liquid Image to bring this to their attention. I hope they either made their camera's focus better or at least corrected the information on the box.

I

20 ft (for all practical purposes) is infinity-----less than .25 D of vergence...

I just used the wide angle lens mask for the first time last weekend. It is a better view than the regular lens. The video quality is good, but you have to keep in mind that this is a true POV camera, so wherever your head turns, so does the camera. It can get kind of dizzying at times. We hit the wreck of the Chaparra off the coast of New Jersey for some spear fishing.

Here is a link to Vimeo to watch the video. I stopped using Youtube since they have too many copyright restrictions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom