Lionfish injury in Florida 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if someone could convert a nail gun for the little lionfish?

:p Actually, one of my dive guides in Panama was quite good at dispatching the little ones with a single tine on his 3 point spear. He then fed the tiny filets to his cats.

'Murica... i think diving has its own danger and should not be mixed with guns and bullets. But of course im canadian. Sorry my apology.
Your avatar give me the idea of converting paintball guns to underwater, shooting an organic gloop that glops the little lionfish so they die before breeding. Safer than metal projectiles for this SCUBA Stooge.

Wow. That video is incredible!!!!
I just find incredibly satisfying to watch that guy cleaning up the reefs!

That's a friend, Alex Fogg. He works for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission and is a great guy. He regularly attends dive events to promote Lionfish harvesting teaching divers new information. Many sites in the upper Florida Panhandle have artificial reefs placed in the middle of barren sand to help promote fish life {like reef balls}.

Unfortunately they have now attracted lionfish to wipe out the baby fish. That's why there are so many in one spot. Some of the better artificials are well off shore 20-40 miles so they rarely get dove, the video is an example of a site that hasn't been cleaned out lately. One other plus is that harvest is a pretty good pay day $$ !!

Need a modified Bearing Sea gold minning apparatus, kinda like a giant wet-vac. You could get every lion in that video in a matter of minutes!

People should not get the idea that all lionfish sit there waiting to be shoot... In Bonaire, They have gotten very smart from people missing them.. The big ones hide deep in the reef and only start coming out at night.. They love to just stay were you can't get a shot.. We have really cleaned up the reefs, So it's work to get them.. I enjoy the hunt and skill it takes to bring a big old lionfish to my dinner plate..

Jim...

I was in Bonaire last month and yes you are right. They've gotten smarter and are very deep and hide between the rocks!!!

People should not get the idea that all lionfish sit there waiting to be shoot... In Bonaire, They have gotten very smart from people missing them.. The big ones hide deep in the reef and only start coming out at night.. They love to just stay were you can't get a shot.. We have really cleaned up the reefs, So it's work to get them.. I enjoy the hunt and skill it takes to bring a big old lionfish to my dinner plate..

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom