Ling cod survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Vancouver Aquarium is requesting diver involvement in a Ling Cod egg survey from Feb 3 - March 4. The peak period is Feb 17 - 25.
http://www.vanaqua.org/lingcodsurvey/

There is also an on going Rock Fish Survey.

As a side note. Last month there was a request for information on invasive Sea Squirt species that are overgrowing areas of our coast and choking off other marine life.

I am in touch with the BC Shellfish Growers Association who are putting together an information pamphlet. If I get more information I will pass it on.

Here is the article
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=ade4ed67-405b-4e5e-b1a2-582206c4c777

Keep in mind that some invasive tunicate species look almost exactly like local species. I'm always paranoid that some well-meaning-but-dumb diver will scrape Ten Mile Point clean (local lobed tunicates look alot like an invasive species). I've heard of divers talking about trips to "wipe out" invasive tunicates like the glassy tunicates on the Chaudiere (which are actually local). Paranoia and ignorance are a bad combination.

I don't know what DFO wants to do about the Sea Squirt problem. But I was thinking of taking photos and giving locations and quantity. First though I need to know what I am looking for. Maybe more on that later.

Have you seen many Ling Cod egg sacks latey? A friend and I were commenting that we see them at Porteau Cove with some good sized Lings but you also don't see fishermen at that site. We were wondering how the cod stocks are looking around Nanaimo and the Southern Gulf Islands and places that are more heavily fished.

deepdiverbc:
Have you seen many Ling Cod egg sacks latey? A friend and I were commenting that we see them at Porteau Cove with some good sized Lings but you also don't see fishermen at that site. We were wondering how the cod stocks are looking around Nanaimo and the Southern Gulf Islands and places that are more heavily fished.
I've seen alot at the usual spots (Ogden Point, Saanich Inlet). I've also been doing alot of very shallow diving so I haven't seen any at those spots which is normal.

deepdiverbc:
I don't know what DFO wants to do about the Sea Squirt problem. But I was thinking of taking photos and giving locations and quantity. First though I need to know what I am looking for. Maybe more on that later.

i was at porteau the last 2 friday nights for diving and seen 8-10 egg masses and 1 lingcod the first friday 3 lingcod the second friday there was nobody guarding the masses? i wonder where they all went?

ryanmacneil8448:
i was at porteau the last 2 friday nights for diving and seen 8-10 egg masses and 1 lingcod the first friday 3 lingcod the second friday there was nobody guarding the masses? i wonder where they all went?

I think I know where they all went. You'd think the female cod would give them a break sometimes. How much can you expect from a guy on the weekend?

Fish%20Playing%20Poker.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom