Line skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'd just add what may be obvious: When reeling out, the line guide (that little slot it's running through) should be facing back (the way you are coming from). When reeling in, it should be facing forwards (the way you are going). Otherwise the line has to wrap around the reel and will no-doubt cause a jam.

Also, when reeling in, you don't want the line to build up in one area; you want it to evenly fill the spool. When it builds up, it will eventually spill over the side, instantly birds nesting. It's easy enough to accomplish. Pivot the reel ever so slightly back and forth as you reel in, so that the line continuously "barber shop poles" around the spool.

Not sure if you're joking, but I'm pretty sure it's just a smooth delrin cylinder rotating on a stainless steel shoulder bolt.
Sounds a lot like using a fishing reel for deep sea fishing.

Put the reel on your butt!

And Marc, when you sidemount AL stages in backmount, you can keep tension on the stage by clipping it further back, so it has less room to ride up. There's downsides (which is why I don't dive that way), but there's upsides, too.

Here's a SM stage-
6a00e54fbce2378833010536a054e1970b-320wi

Cool thread, J! :thumb:

I don't like to be fumbling with new equipment or terminolgy in a class I've paid good money for, either. I want to be paying attention to learning line drills, not trying to remember where I've clipped off my gear, or remembering what is a jump line. I want to pay attention to keeping the line taut, not figuring out where the brake on the reel is, or which way the line feed should be pointed.

The rest of the info is just really exciting to visualize. :)

Put the reel on your butt!

If you really want to be streamlined and avoid danglies, you can also put it IN your :mooner:

And Marc, when you sidemount AL stages in backmount, you can keep tension on the stage by clipping it further back, so it has less room to ride up. There's downsides (which is why I don't dive that way), but there's upsides, too.

Here's a SM stage-
6a00e54fbce2378833010536a054e1970b-320wi

Looks pretty. Where is the tail clipped off?

Great question, love the "breaking the plane" point of view, makes me wonder if we are doing wind tunnel testing?

Looks pretty. Where is the tail clipped off?
I'm guessing on one of these to keep it held high when heavy-
Dive Rite Technical Butt Plate

And then when empty, wrap the tail and clip it to the side dring to hold it down low.

Duno tho, but that's my guess.

In that pic, the stage is held up with a small loop of bungee around the valve. I talked to Larry about it one day 'cuz I thought it looked neat. You can kinda see the bungee in the pic, coming from the valve knob.

coolio... Weird, though. I think I'd re-size my stage rigging before adding a bungee to it (or maybe I'm misunderstanding without a clear picture).

Anything clipped off to the tank is just ONE more thing (and theres enough, already) to get caught on line.

Keep it smooth and simple, and clip it on your rear with a proper (small) double ender. If you don't really need a tank d-ring (which I highly suspect no one posting on SB does), leave it at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom