Line Laying in Lk Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetfinn

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll make this my first post to Scubaboard.

I am new to TX and am curently attending military Physician Asst school in San Antonio. I noticed in another thread that there was a discussion on laying line in Travis. So I wanted to fill everyone in on the line a few of us have begun putting in and our intentions with it.

A few of us have begun laying line in the Windy point area. We currently have 2400' layed out along the 50' depth contour. Since there are not any caves close by, this is the next best thing to maintain skills for an overhead enviroment.

We plan on extending the line to 4000' in the next week or so. Then working to make a few jumps to specific areas in the lake that have been identified on a pre-dam map.

All in all, the ultimate goal is just to go diving, meet new people, and have fun. So if we are causing a problem for anyone, please let me know (preferably prior to just cutting the line eyebrow) If you want to come out and play, that is great too. The more the merrier. :D

Thanks for your time.
Mika

wetfinn:
I'll make this my first post to Scubaboard.
Welcome to scubaboard. I suggest that you fill in your personal profile info a bit so we know more about you and/or introduce yourself in the Introductions and Greetings forum. I will leave the line discussion to others.

Willie

The 0-70' depth interval is heavily used by the bulk of divers at WP. The likelihood that it will remain undisturbed is probably slim. Many people see any lines as a potential hazards and remove them...OW class instructors in particular may have issues with the possibility of entanglements for unskilled divers.

Just curious, what are the terminal points of this line?

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Due to the current lake level, what is 50' now will probably be in the 70+ range at normal lake level. Last I heard the platforms that are normally around 30-35' are at 18' now.
Sounds about right, according to the info online it is at 663' now and normal is 681'. A question for you regulars. Do you think it will come back to normal level? It has been down for quite a while hasnt it? Just wondering about historical fluctuation and what is realistic to expect.

Willie

Well, we covered a fair amount of WP (public side) today and the only thing I saw at the 50' interval was a piece of rope that paralleled the steel cable coming off the training platform...certainly wasn't anything I'd refer to as a 'line'...

Conditions were pretty unremarkable.

Pockets of vis up to 12-15 feet, below 75' things got pretty skanky.

63F at the surface, 55F below 70'...

Willie, my predictin is that without some serious rainfall, this is likely not going to be a stellar dive season. But, on the positive side, working in the river channel won't require nearly as much deco time.

This happens every few years, but the lake always bounces back within a year or so. However, it may be spring 2007 before it happens. I agree with cyklon 300 that this summer the lake will probably stay down for the season.

Ed

cyklon_300:
The 0-70' depth interval is heavily used by the bulk of divers at WP. The likelihood that it will remain undisturbed is probably slim. Many people see any lines as a potential hazards and remove them...OW class instructors in particular may have issues with the possibility of entanglements for unskilled divers.

Just curious, what are the terminal points of this line?

We started at 50' in the hopes that the lake would come back up to normal levels. However I am new to the area, so I am unsure as to whether it will happen or not.

The line currently runs along an underwater point that was identified on a topo map. We are almost to the end of the point as I recall. Plans are to turn West (?, don't have a map handy) and start running towards hippie hollow (name correct ?). From there we will jump to some structures that may still be around from the pre dam days.

The line is tied in prety well along the way. Just standard caveline, maybe a foot off of the bottom. Should not be too much of a problem (hopefully).

Hope that answers your questions...kind of. :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom