Line Knotting Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use 10ft increments stateside. Not sure what the rest of the world uses for distances, but you could easily adjust to whatever metric increments are used.
Why do you have the difference size boards in the previous shot? Aren't they all supposed to cover 10 feet?

We use 10ft increments stateside. Not sure what the rest of the world uses for distances, but you could easily adjust to whatever metric increments are used.
10ft=3.048m. Given the precision of the tool, 3m is a workable approximation.

Why do you have the difference size boards in the previous shot? Aren't they all supposed to cover 10 feet?
in the OP I explained that the boards were leftover from a deck project and if I had my choice I would have all had them 8ft long. All 3 boards cover 10ft though, just with some Z routing on the shorter ones.

in the OP I explained that the boards were leftover from a deck project and if I had my choice I would have all had them 8ft long. All 3 boards cover 10ft though, just with some Z routing on the shorter ones.
I haven't done any cave courses yet. Is there any reason you wouldn't knot all of your reel lines. Or is it typically just for when your surveying virgin cave?

I haven't done any cave courses yet. Is there any reason you wouldn't knot all of your reel lines. Or is it typically just for when your surveying virgin cave?
Most people don't bother since it is not necessary. You generally know how far back the gold line is and in the US the gold lines are almost all marked every 100ft. Jumps are typically short and again, the length doesn't matter.
It can be convenient for open water tech dives since it can count as a redundant depth gauge so my spools have a double knot at 20ft and another double knot at 70ft for gas switches with single knots every 10ft.
Main use is for surveying, though doesn't have to be virgin. A lot of the old survey data was either never recorded well or has been lost so a lot of line is being replaced and when you do that it's nice to have knotted line to make survey go faster. They're not terribly precise obviously but it gets pretty bloody close, it is significantly faster than using survey tape, and it also allows solo survey which is essentially impossible with a tape.

Depending on the cave some use 2m knots, which is a lot of knotting but when you're in a small twisty sump can work ok.

Most cave divers in places like FL and MX (and France) are tourists and don't survey. They tie into a permanent line and makes jumps off that to other permanent lines.

Painting by Johann Georg Melchior Schmidtner (1625-1705) (Mary Untier of Knots)
1645880692897.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom