Limits for decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddevane

New
Reaction score
Hi there

I am working on a project and need serious advice on questions that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere:

1. Breathing air at 5mtrs, is there a time limit? The dive tables and computer algorithms I have seen bottom out after about 300mins whereas I have heard that at this depth the safe time limit before decompression required is unlimited i.e. one could, assuming adequate hypothermia protection etc, stay at this depth safely for days/weeks.

2. What difference would breathing air at 10 mtrs nake to the above?

3. If doing a prolonged dive at shallow depth (5 mtrs or so) is there a benefit of using nitrox?

4. Would people recomend going to 100% O2 for last hour or so after a prolonged dive at 5mtrs?

Thanks a lot for your help

Declan

You might find these helpful!

Van Liew, HD; Flynn, ET. Direct ascent from air and N2-O2 saturation dives in humans: DCS risk and evidence of a threshold. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2005 Nov-Dec;32(6):409-19. RRR ID: 4058

Hamilton Jr, RW; Thalmann, ED; Temple, DJ. 2002. Multi-Day Air Saturation at 20 and 22 FSW With Direct Ascent: Data Report on Project 92-09. Naval Medical Research Center Technical Report NMRC-02-01. RRR ID: 4585

Eckenhoff, RG; Osborne, SF; Parker, JW; Bondi, KR. Direct ascent from shallow air saturation exposures. Undersea Biomed Res. 1986 Sep;13(3):305-16. RRR ID: 3049

As for the O2 breathing, the intro to this paper gives a nice overview of the work that has been done:

Blogg, SL; Gennser, M; Loveman, GAM; Seddon, FM; Thacker, JC; White, MG. The effect of breathing hyperoxic gas during simulated submarine escape on venous gas emboli and decompression illness. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Fall; 30(3):163-74. RRR ID: 3969

These should get you started, let us know if you need more... Good luck!

Hello:

1. Breathing air at 5mtrs, is there a time limit? The dive tables and computer algorithms I have seen bottom out after about 300mins whereas I have heard that at this depth the safe time limit before decompression required is unlimited i.e. one could, assuming adequate hypothermia protection etc, stay at this depth safely for days/weeks.

Yes, you could basically stay there with little DCS worry. Some divers would probably form some Doppler-detectable bubbles.

2. What difference would breathing air at 10 mtrs make to the above?

Ten meters definitely would have limits and could be a problem for some people after more than a day at pressure.

3. If doing a prolonged dive at shallow depth (5 mtrs or so) is there a benefit of using nitrox?

There is not really a benefit that could be demonstrated with respect to DCS.

4. Would people recommend going to 100% O2 for last hour or so after a prolonged dive at 5 mtrs?

Oxygen is not necessary unless you are near the limit - and you are not. :cool2:

Hi Gene-Hobbs and Dr Deco

Thanks Gene for the cittaions and for the PDF links.

Thaks Dr. Deco for th eexplicit advice.

I feel much more informed now and this is thnak to you both.

Declan

Back
Top Bottom