Lightweight BCD suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently grabbed a couple of AL D rings from DGX/OMS they weigh a fraction of the steel versions.

Of course then you have to carry the AL/Steel plate on the plane.

Either an Aqualung Zuma or Scubapro Lighthawk is marketed as being neutrally buoyant - don't remember which one.

Covert's pack very small and may be the lightest BCD currently being sold - I think they're 3.9 lbs.

eelnoraa said a harness and its hardware bits were 1.9 lb. So that's likely a reasonable estimate for this harness. The associated wing is 1.2 lb.
DECO - Dive Equipment Company - DECO Skeleton Harness 1
DECO - Dive Equipment Company - Sidemount Bladder 22#
For a total for this BC of 3.1 lb. So a good fraction of a pound less and it packs really well.

Though the Deco harness does have a few more bits of metal than the webbing of a BP/W. And you still need to add a few bungees to the wing. So it might not be all of that less. Plus it is a sidemount rig. But if you're going for the lightest.... It seems the answer. Now if you also want adaptable and sturdy, it's still up there.

But if you're willing to add a couple of pounds, and want it all in one package on your back, an AL BP/W is just a hair heavier, and very adaptable and sturdy. Sturdy to the point of near indestructible for all but the wing.

The Covert is 3.9 lb., but the Zuma is ML/LG < 4.75 lb., 2XS/S < 4.4 lb. I don't know if they score as highly in the near indestructible and adaptable categories.

On BP/W plate and planes, I've not had issues with my steel backplate in carry on luggage. Plus, if you really fear the TSA will consider the plate a weapon, there are plastic or even fabric plates. Very much removing any weapon worries.

My comment had nothing to do with carry-on/TSA issues, if I was traveling light I'd prefer to get my weight on the boat - not lug it on multiple flights - which most of ours are.

Plus no one will ever convince me a metal plate is as comfortable as a padded BCD on your back. I could care less if it's optimal.

Back
Top Bottom