Lights vs Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChavaG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!

I'm a DP/Still photographer that has recently ventured into underwater imaging. I have a Sony SR11 that we usually use for our behind the scenes & personal stuff. Considering how expensive UW videography is, I figured I'd start out with this cam. So I bought a Light and Motion Bluefin Pro Housing. Should be getting my housing by the end of next week. I'm in Yucatan, and will be using the housing mostly in cenotes where most if not all divers use a 500~1000 lumen primary light. I also plan to every once in a while travel to Cancun & Cozumel for open water diving.

My question is how effective is the built-in correction filter?

I have very little experience with UW photography. A couple of dives with a Canon point & shoot and a Sony Alpha 100 with a 160 Ikelite strobe.

I'm considering investing in L&M's Sunray lighting setups. Not sure whether 1000's or 2000's, as I've no idea yet of of their effect underwater.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated in this matter. Is more always better? For what applications would you consider using Sunray 1000's or 2000's?

Before buying the housing I'd ordered a DiveRite LED LUX Canister light for my upcoming cavern and intro to cave courses. It's a 1000 lumen light, is this ok for a start?

Thank you!

If your considering video lights and a light suitable for cave training/diving you should look at two manufactures that make a dual purpose light that works wonderful for both with just the change of the reflector. I would recommend a minimum of a 21W HID from either of the following;

See Halcyon; Explorer 13.5, 21w HID | Extreme Exposure

and Light Monkey; sorry I can't find their official site...someone should post a link I'm sure...

With the purchase of a video light reflector it will give a very bright diffused light. The technology is not quite there YET with the LED lights;What is the difference between HID and LED lighting? | Halcyon Dive Systems

You can also purchase a full video setup from either of the above which includes two light heads, two video reflectors, and a Y connector with E/O plugs (allows you to detach the lamps underwater/ or above). Be aware that if you get a 50W video setup from Halcyon their goodman handle will not accept the light head, I believe Light Monkey's will though.

I know Light Monkee is working on their new website, should be up very soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom