Lights, Lights, Lights??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guppie9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, I have asked several "new guy" questions on here regarding equipment. Everyone has been so helpful, so I hope I am not bugging all you "experts" too much. :D

Anyway. I had a question about lights.

What does the "average" rec diver need in the way of lights? Assuming I will do mostly tropical dives and will most likely just need something to peek into crevices, etc.

I see canister lights, handhelds, and the little ones that clip onto your BC and am a little more than confused about what is really necessary.

I am also moving to Misouri in the near future and anticipate needing something for quarry diving. I am assuming I will need more light for that type of diving.

And finally, what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for some of these assorted options?

Thanks in advance!

Are you planning on doing night dives as well? As a rec diver, a canister is probably more than you'll ever need. My recommendations for what you described would be something like the Dorcy dive light, the Intovas or the Oxycheq Raider I. All of these can clip to your BC and are relatively small so they are good for travel too. All of these can be purchased for between $50 and $70 and if you want to leave your hand free, you can put any of them in an Oxycheq light sock as long as you get the right size.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gear-equipment-classifieds/265815-biggest-little-dive-light.html

Shameless self promotion.

I recommend something with a tight beam rechargeable batteries and a decent LED.

There are lots of lights out there with out dated LEDs. Make sure you get one with a new generation LED e.g Cree Q5 or R2 (P4 is a little old but still not to bad).

The new UK Kinetics LED looks good. Is basically a copy (I made mine first :mooner:) of my modified ISTs but runs at a much lower power level to reduce heat as its in a plastic case. They put out about 100 lumen vs 225 lumen for the modded IST

But if you are keen on your diving then you will not regret getting a cannister light.

If you are not shure about your evolution as diver, you should look for a small high power LED light, which is upgradable to a small canister system.
Our PHOTON or PHOTON2 is a small high power LED light (light power like 50W halogen) with the possibility to extend them to compact canister system, if you want.
mb-sub.com: LED - LIGHT SYSTEM

Michael

The new breed of small handheld LED torches are now bright enough to be a useful primary night dive lights.........

LEDs are rugged and easy on batteries so they are well suited for a dive light, so I would only select a LED light (this does not apply to canister lights).........

My experience had been with Princeton Tec and they do really stand behind their product and make a solid product (check out the 2009 version 95 Lumen Torrent LED).......

In a recent Scuba Diver magazine torch review I recall they stated that the new Scuba Pro Fuego would be their first choice for a smaller dual role back-up/primary light, that is BCD pocket sized.........

I always take a light with me on every dive, to look under rocks and as a night signaling device should I need it (same with a see-me tube and whistle) you know the Open Water scenario..........

If you go to more advanced diving, deep technical stuff, wreck penetrations or caves the handheld LED light you buy today will serve you well as a back-up light..........

Hope this helps..........M

A lot of people like LED dive lights because they use less power and produce whiter light at depth than halogen (as well as the fact that they are practically indestructable).

I personally have a Green Force TriStar LED canister light because I dive in low vis, night, and am starting to experiment with underwater video. For a regular handheld, I would recommend the UK SL4 LED. It is compact, only uses 4 C cells and is plenty bright for most divers needs. If you get into more advanced diving it will make an excelent back-up light.

Good luck with a descision,

Christian

LEDs are getting brighter and longer burn times. there are many available. One we have been selling alot of is the Sartek 6600, was rated one of the top lights in the latest dive mag...and a bonus, you can take the head off the body (handheld light), attach the cord and accessories to the body and light head, and now you have a can light. Thats right, you can do either. The combo pack is pricey at $550, but you can just get the light for $350 and upgrade to the can light option later....pretty neat option :wink: Brighter than any 10w hid I have seen...

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=51_422

These guys are the experts -
I have a Sea Life waterproof to 100 ft - good light when the batteries are fresh; I also found a GoVolt G250 ($35.00) runs on 3 AAA, best little light ever, VERY BRIGHT, but, can't dive deep with it due to the switch design:mad:. It's great to about 60 ft, if the on/off switch was changed a little and a string could be attached, it would blow the SeaLife one right out of the water. Hoping they redesign it, I will stock up on them for that price.

I like Dive Right In Scuba's 1000 lumen lights. Regular or shorty. Nice bright tight beam. Metal housing. They hold up well and are very bright. Perfect for most recreational dives. And under $100

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom