Lights for TG-6: Strobes or Video lights to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Picked up a TG-6 and housing not to long ago as an entry into underwater photography and video. Havent had a chance to use it yet but I understand that for shallow water, high visibilty macro shooting, the native flash is good enough for starters. Is that correct? If want to expand my options for photography (and would like to get some video clips too with this camera), am I better off starting with a video light or two, or going for stobes? I understand that I will need strobes at least if I go for wide angle shots, but for now I will only be using the camera's lens, no adapters or additonal lens. I'm looking to not break the bank.

Hi;

It really depends if you want to shoot video or stills. Even an inexpensive strobe is hundreds of times more powerful than a bright video light for stills. It emits an extremely bright instantaneous light that freezes motion and gives much better color saturation and detail.

Sea & Sea makes a nice compact flash set using the YS-03 TTL strobe for $429.

However a video light can be used for stills, but you are essentially shooting using available light. It works out ok for closer up types of photos, still lifes. Kraken Sports makes the Hydra lights that can be used in a variety of ways. They have a continuous light of up to 5000 lumens, but "flash" a much brighter momentary light of up to 7000 lumens, depending on the model. They come in 2500, 3500 and 5000 lumen models and work fine with your TG6.

We have a Review & Setup article here.

We have a Package with the Kraken 2500 light for $575.

KRK-2500-flexarm-set.jpg

I like taking both video and still so bought two Big Blue VL4200P video lights.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

I dont have any issues for the colours I get on close up or Super Macro photos. This taken at 26m depth on a dark cloudy day. You will need to learn what power levels to use with video lights so you do not over illuminate.

A SEA HORSE BEAUTY.jpg

This is taken with Super Macro with 100% zoom in using natural light at around 4m depth on a sunny day. I was not using the video lights.

A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg

This video taken on a night dive of sleeping fish. The Big Blue VL4200P have a 120 degree wide beam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom