Lighthouse Point, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to ditto the concern about wind, waves and current at Cobalt Coast. My wife and I have stayed at Cobalt Coast for six days of diving on three separate occasions. (And, we're going back again in two weeks.) Often, the conditions have been too rough for shore diving at Cobalt Coast, yet perfectly fine a mile south at Lighthouse Point. I have done a number of shore dives at both locations. I prefer Lighthouse Point because the mini wall has more life on it, especially if you turn left (north). Often, we have come across turtles, angelfish and spotted morays at Lighthouse Point. I have yet to see a turtle at Cobalt Coast.

As for rental gear, both my wife and I have rented gear from DiveTech. We've been very happy with it. The equipment is all well cared for and while it may not be brand new, we've never had any problems.

I hope you've noticed all the favorable comments about the DiveTech staff. It may not seem like that big a deal when you're only talking about getting some gear and taking one brief dive off the shore. Believe me, the staff can make a big difference, even in just one dive. DiveTech staff are very attentive when it comes to gear and making sure it works for you. Along with having excellent maps of the dive sites, they give very good briefings and updates on conditions, animal life, directions on entry and exit -- all of this makes your dive so much more focused on what you came to see and do and so much less driven by trying to make things work or figuring out how to get to the wall and back.

Enjoy your dive.

We love Cobalt Coast as a place to stay, but ran into the same thing with the shore diving. One April stay we got blown out of diving from shore there the entire week. We had better luck on a July stay. This was when the other DiveTech shop was still at Turtle Reef and we much preferred the shore diving there anyway.

Lighthouse Point is a phenomenal night dive, swim out to the first mooring ball and if you can, current permitting of course, head south. Lots of giant sea turtles nestled under ledges and the occasional giant parrotfish. Keep your eyes loose for Octopus, we've hit the jackpot a few times.

If you're up at Turtle Reef, give John at Happy Fish a ring and see about heading out on their boat. It's a gorgeous and very comfortable boat that he limits to 6 divers. Very personalized service, Shaggy and Andrea are fantastic.

Sounds great, thanks for all of the suggestions. I believe we are going to tentatively stick with the plan to dive the mini wall at Lighthouse Point, with the open mind for a possible second dive elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom