lighthead finished - need cannister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mud_diver

Reaction score
Not sure if I should post in "Classifieds" or "DIY" so I will post in both. Moderator can delete either post if in wrong section.

Well I made my HID light heads with 10 watt Welch Allyn lamps. Waiting to design the goodman handle, will be attached to the screws shown. Tested to 250 fsw, no leaks. Have not been having much luck finding a cannister design / batteries / charger that meets my budget / needs. Supposedly, the light head is more expensive and harder to build. But I was able to obtain all my materials for a good price and I have the machinery to build the housing.

So if anyone out there has a spare cannister and / or battery pack with charger, preferably for NIMH, maybe we can work out a deal on a trade. I have several items I would be willing to trade - stainless steel backplates, finger spools, Scubapro Classic black BC with AIR2. Or if someone wants to machine the can and lid, I will supply all the materials (delrin, latches, switches, boots, cord glands, orings) needed to make 4 cannisters. You give me one,and you keep 3. Or trade for??

Your light head looks very nice BTW.

As you said the canister is the easy part. If your light head is anything to go by, you will have no problems.

As you probably know most people use PVC pipe for the canister construction. My light uses 2" PVC oversized, however 2.5" schdule 80 PVC also works well and does not require resizing. Alternatively you could machine the canister from delrin to the same dimensions.

If you haven't already visited the divelights group, checkout the link below. I have posted a parts list with prices and URLs for all the parts needed to build the canister (including batteries, charger, latches, glands etc). If you need dimensions for the canister, I can provide those as well.

Good luck

http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/canisterlightezlighthead.msnw

Mud Diver, the lighthead looks great. By the sound of your name, you might be using your new light to look for goodies. Any chance I'm right???

WD

Quite possibly.....But my name comes from the quarry I usually dive at, it often has NO visibility. Below 22' it is often blacker than night. We have had visibility so bad that I could barely read my gauge even with a light.

Could mabye post instructions on how to make them...I'm thinking of making one.

Mud diver:

Beautiful torch head! Do you have a photo log on the web of it being created? I have just started making my own cannister light. Since it is my first one, I am using a maglite with an MR-16 halogen lamp and overpowering it with a 16.8 volt cannister. I am awaiting most of the parts as I could only find the Maglite locally.

DrDuktayp

Back
Top Bottom