Light/Strobe for PS camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dingsand

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a total beginner for underwater photography. I have read many posts already but hope someone can point me to the right direction.
I am currently using a Canon SD790IS with Canon Housing. I found out I actually quite enjoy taking video using the camera, even more so than taking pictures. The problem is of course it is too dark and I don't have any light/strobe for the setup. So my question would be, is there a light/strobe that can either stay "on" for video and work like a strobe when taking pictures? I understand beside the light/strobe, I may also need the arm and/or tray to attach it to the canon housing. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Edmond

Hi Ed -

My partner has a similar camera (SD series) and while I don't think a strobe/light is a bad idea you might want to first think about buying a camera that has a larger sensor.. I have a G9 and the video/pictures are very different than an SD series.

Big stuff G9 wins, macro they are about even...

~ frank

Hello everyone,

I am a total beginner for underwater photography. I have read many posts already but hope someone can point me to the right direction.
I am currently using a Canon SD790IS with Canon Housing. I found out I actually quite enjoy taking video using the camera, even more so than taking pictures. The problem is of course it is too dark and I don't have any light/strobe for the setup. So my question would be, is there a light/strobe that can either stay "on" for video and work like a strobe when taking pictures? I understand beside the light/strobe, I may also need the arm and/or tray to attach it to the canon housing. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Edmond

Ed,
Apples and oranges when it comes to the lights for video and still. A strobe is best for still. However if you want to take video as well then you have to compromise and use a quality dive light for both. And yes, you will need a tray and arm. Prices for all will vary considerably. Decide on the light before getting the tray/arm so you know it will mount to the arm. Video specific lights can be very expensive. Go to the "Underwater Videography" section and check with those folks for a light.

Gilligan is right, two different animals altogether. SeaLife makes the SL961 - Digital Pro Flash that will work with your camera and has both a full Auto feature as well as manual control of the flashes output from 8% to 100%, no steps!

I'm using the Ikelite AF35 strobe with a similar camera to yours. It works with no optical cable and also has auto and manual mode. Don't have any experience with any other to tell which is the better choice.

Adam

I was using a Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe with a similar camera and that worked well for me, and it's relatively inexpensive. Won't help you with video, though, I'm afraid.

thanks all for the inputs. I really appreciate everyone's opinions. I guess I will have to settle for a simple strobe. I don't think I will ever get too deep into photography. I would prefer something like Ikelite AF35 or Sea & Sea YS-27DX. Simply to use is vital to me. Anymore models will fit this category?
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom