Light sock/glove/handstrap/holder question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaapk410

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there Scuba scallywags,

Looking for information regarding a device to attach a light to the back of your hand. Apparently the name for this piece of gear is still up in the air. I've seen sock/glove/handstrap/holder/handle....... either way here's my specific question:

I am looking to attach my cordless primary light to my hand. (7" length 1.5" diameter 13ish oz )
focused specifically in relation to recreational diving in the advanced open water range.
(1-2 hours max dive time, MOD 130ft, activities include exploration, some basic limited vis dives, and hunting for fish, shelled treats, and fossils)

My biggest concerns are
-secure attachment of the light to the handstrap. ensure light doesn't fall out
-secure attachment of the handstrap + light to my hand. ensure that device is fixed to hand and not moving around

So far I've found the Oxycheq universal light sock and the Oxycheq Raider I light sock to be the closest to what I am trying to find. *see links below

Any information on these products would be appreciated as I am trying to figure out which would be best.

and/or if you have any other ideas for how to accomplish the goal of securely attaching a light to your hand in order to use both hands. I'm open to suggestions : )

Thanks for taking a look!

Oxycheq Universal light sock
Universal Light Sock
Oxycheq Raider I
Raider I Light Sock

Yeah they seem to be better quality than most other ones I've seen.

I'm looking to figure out if I should go for the Universal or the Raider I.
I'm not sure which one of those would work best for a 7" long 1.5" diameter 13 oz light.

The Universal light sock seems to be for larger lights and I'm worried that it may not hold the light securely due to the diameter of my light
The Raider I light sock seems to be for smaller lights and I'm worried that it may not hold on to my hand securely and jostle around.
The Raider III/IV is out of the question as it is for even smaller lights.

@Gaapk410 you can always call them and ask, though the universal sock is not great, the actual Raider ones are what you want. I can't stand the universal style and own a couple of the Raiders for backup lights. The bungee on the back goes around your wrist and secures it from flopping about

Wrist Glove Flashlight Holder

MWGFH-2__86620.1614197629.jpg

The problem with the light socks, as opposed to a rigid Goodman handle, is that it is difficult to switch the light from hand to hand. You don't want it on your left hand, for example, when reaching around to dump air from your wing/BC, and you don't want it on the right when donating a regulator.

The problem with the light socks, as opposed to a rigid Goodman handle, is that it is difficult to switch the light from hand to hand. You don't want it on your left hand, for example, when reaching around to dump air from your wing/BC, and you don't want it on the right when donating a regulator.

Yeah the ease of use stood out immediately. I was wondering if I would have to turn off my light to do things since the light is literally stuck to my hand with most non-goodman handle light holders or focus training one handed so as not to have a light pointing in random directions and moving all about when trying to do things.

Thanks!!

You might have a look at the razor hand mount. It's more for technical diving, but it's much better than a hard goodman handle IMO. The mount stays on your hand and the light twists on/off with a flange that you attach to the light. (I use zip ties for that). You probably don't dive with a helmet, but they also make a helmet mount that uses the same type of flange, so you can take the light off your hand and stick it on the helmet, which is very convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom