Light on the Left Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the others have said, at first the light felt pretty awkward in my left hand, but it became second nature and now it feels very awkward to dive without. Swapping from the left to right hand, when needed, is automatic and a non-issue.

But, I am continually amazed to learn how many tasks can be done while wearing the Goodman handle on my left hand without swapping it over to the right, or clipping it off.

I found left weird at first but got used to it within a few dives. If I have to use my left hand (i.e. look at compass, dump air, turn off left post, etc) I switch it to my right hand for a moment.

I'm with potato on this one. Regarding other comments about tangles, I just make sure to deploy or clip the light head by routing it beneath the long hose. After about 3-5 dives it became "natural".

GUE currently says the light cord goes over the long hose, although it was under in the past. If you have the cord under the hose, and then clip it off to do something, the long hose will be trapped. Moving the light from over to under following long hose donation is easy, and at that point, there is no more emergency.

i get confused with over/under
light goes between my long hose and the floor.

That is who I went through for my Cavern.

I use the elastic mount goodman. I never could get the metal one to sit comfortablly on my hand.

As far as routing goes, you recommend the light go under the long hose?

What was wrong with your metal handle?? Have you tried others of a different size and or shape?

It took me a while to get used to it too, you just need to dive it a bunch. I have an issue with elastic handles personally, and that is the fact that they will a) stretch and become less elastic-y and b) don't provide secure mounts for bolt snaps/ double enders. I rig mine UTD style (http://utdequipment.com/images/head and bolt snap 800.jpg) and find that method quite handy, as it allows a lot of options in securing my light, including pointing up so I can illuminate whatever I may need both hands to work on.

Peace,
Greg

GUE currently says the light cord goes over the long hose, although it was under in the past. If you have the cord under the hose, and then clip it off to do something, the long hose will be trapped. Moving the light from over to under following long hose donation is easy, and at that point, there is no more emergency.

It seems weird to say "well, just move the light head around after donation, cause then it isnt a big deal," but also saying, "if you route under the long hose you risk trapping it." It seems like working the light head under the long hose to clip off would be just as easy and there would be no emergency taking place at that time at all (as opposed to rerouting after donation)--it seems practice to make it second nature is what is critical. As long as the team is working together, has trained together, and expects a specific reaction to a problem, is routing under the long hose really a big deal?

What was wrong with your metal handle?? Have you tried others of a different size and or shape?

It took me a while to get used to it too, you just need to dive it a bunch. I have an issue with elastic handles personally, and that is the fact that they will a) stretch and become less elastic-y and b) don't provide secure mounts for bolt snaps/ double enders. I rig mine UTD style (http://utdequipment.com/images/head and bolt snap 800.jpg) and find that method quite handy, as it allows a lot of options in securing my light, including pointing up so I can illuminate whatever I may need both hands to work on.

Peace,
Greg

That is the way I would like to rig my light, but I do not have a hard goodman made special for my light at this time (Light Monkey 12W LED) and want to be cautious attaching a handle to the light.

All my buddies dive with an elastic mount, so I follow their lead for now.

I have a loop of bungee around the head of the light to act as the one that goes across the head UTD style. The loop on the head is held forward by the elastic goodman mount which uses a derilin screw to tighten from the side. I too have a loop of line on the end of the ballast with an o-ring, like UTD shows in the link you provided, with a double-ender in the same place.

I have found one made by Light Monkey, but I would need to buy it. My elastic one has the smae attachment style as this, but without the hard handle:
LM-10.102.003L-2T.jpg

I use the elastic mount goodman. I never could get the metal one to sit comfortablly on my hand.

I dove a friend’s light with one of those elastic mounts, when mine was in for repair. It drove me crazy to always have to stop and wiggle my fingers into the soft elastic loop when changing hands. The ridged metal Goodman handle seems so much easier for quick on/off.

Just recently I was diving gloveless in the tropics. I have little hands so could not adjust the handle tight enough. After days - the metal handle really bruised/cut my knuckles. The guys used contact cement to glue a piece of 3mm neoprene across the area on the handle where it touches the back of the hand. Once the height of the handle was properly adjusted, it was quite comfortable to dive – even without gloves. Perhaps this will help you with comfort :).

IMG_9342-1.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom