Light Monkey 3W backup - is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

I just got 2 LM 3W backup lights and am noticing a few things which I'm not sure are problems or normal.

- When the light is on, there's a very distinctive ring of light where the cap screws into the body. I'm not expecting the watertight o-ring seal to be light-tight but this seems odd.
IMG_20190916_191033.jpg
- I can hear the batteries moving slightly in the body when I shake it, even when the light is on.
- From fully screwed down (and the light being on), it's not the same number of turns out for the light to go off between the 2 lights I got.

So far, I've been using DGX600 as my backups and never seen anything like this. I just got these lights today from DGX and am hesitant to take them in the water. I'm going to get in touch with DGX tomorrow as well but figured I'd ask now as MNF is boring as all get out.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

The ring of light is light refracting around the assembly. I dunno if it's by design, but it allows you to see if the light is one when it's still stowed.

You'll be able to hear the batteries move. It's just sorta the way those delrin lights are. My Halcyon Scouts do the same thing.

I've never bothered to see if my lights take the same number of turns off as on. Wouldn't surprise me if it's different based on different spring tensions putting the batteries in slightly different places in relation to the LED unit.

My local (and upcoming C1) buddy confirmed his LM 3Ws do the same "ring of light" thing as well.
As far as the batteries rattling - my point of comparison is the DGX600 which is machined aluminum; I figure the tolerances for milling delrin are not as tight as aluminum which is resulting in some extra space for the batteries to move around.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't get duds that had to be sent back to DGX.

For what these things cost they ought to be flawless. What was your reasoning in choosing the LM over the Scout? I too have the DGX 600s as backups and have been considering upgrading. The LM and Scout seem similar, though the LM is slightly less expensive (no surprise). I’m embarrassed to admit I am leaning toward the LM only because I already look like an advertisement for Halcyon.

For what these things cost they ought to be flawless.
That's what I was expecting too, especially seeing as how well finished the DGX lights are. I guess flawless in this context is works flawlessly (which they're reputed to do) but still ...

What was your reasoning in choosing the LM over the Scout?
BAUE buddies recommended LM. Apparently, the Halcyon has 1 sealing o-ring and the LM has 2. Not sure if this has actually resulted in any Scout failures but why risk it. Also, since they function equally well, the cheaper one was the easy choice.

I too have the DGX 600s as backups and have been considering upgrading.
I saw your post in the other thread about this and have been doing exactly the same thing you described. I do see the logic of having something that runs on 3Cs and has the associated long runtime but I don't think it's only useful in the RBCP(tm). For example, at Nohoch, you can easily get an hour back in the cave on 1/6th - if you have to use your backup all the way out, do you really want it possibly running out and having to switch to your 2nd backup? For me, justifying the cost wasn't just about meeting class requirements but peace of mind of having those assault-weapons-pretending-to-be-lights. I mean, $300 is really nothing compared to everything else in cave diving.

Apparently, the Halcyon has 1 sealing o-ring and the LM has 2. Not sure if this has actually resulted in any Scout failures but why risk it.

I was unpleasantly surprised to pull my two new Halcyon Scout Minis apart and find only one O ring.

At $200 apiece for backup lights, I’ll admit I felt a little cheated that I didn’t get a two O-ring barrier.

I went to the hardware store and found 1.25” / 32mm ID O-rings that fit perfectly to create a second barrier.

upload_2021-9-7_22-37-58.jpeg

I was unpleasantly surprised to pull my two new Halcyon Scout Minis apart and find only one O ring.

At $200 apiece for backup lights, I’ll admit I felt a little cheated that I didn’t get a two O-ring barrier.

I went to the hardware store and found 1.25” / 32mm ID O-rings that fit perfectly to create a second barrier.

View attachment 680717

So.. the 2 orings will stack on top of each other?

Somewhat.

The second o-ring seats lower than the OEM o-ring and rests against the flared part of the torch (forward of where one holds the torch).

When the torch head is backed off from “on”, there’s still good contact between the torch head and the second o-ring.

When I twist the torch head to “on”, the o-ring stays seated and does not prevent good contact to close the circuit.

Happy with it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom