light for gopro minimal setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello gopro masters,

I have been doing videos with my gopro for bit, at the moment I use a pole to be able to get closer to the subject and a filter. I like it, but I would like to try a video light. I would like more color at depth. At the moment i want to buy only one light as I still want to use the pole to get that extra 3/4ft closer, so I believe two lights would be too much for the moment. I did a quick search. I do not want to spend more than 250$ at the moment. I found this one:

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-bblal1800xwp/bigblue-al1800xwp-1800-lumens-extra-wide-beam-led-light

Anybody using it? Or recommending another light? Is worth investing in a 1800 lumens light or you think it is just wasted money and need something stronger?

Thanks a lot,

Carlo

To get even lighting over the wide area that the GoPro lens covers you are best to use 2 lights.

We have a very small, ready-to-go set that is small and has two 1000 lumen lights for only $399.
video-Light-Pkg-1.jpg

To get even lighting over the wide area that the GoPro lens covers you are best to use 2 lights.

We have a very small, ready-to-go set that is small and has two 1000 lumen lights for only $399.

thanks, it looks great but can I mount it at the end of a pole? Would that work? I really like the pole option :)

Thanks dude, do you have a link to any footage please?
I have only used it in fresh water so far so there wasn't much color but maybe you can get a good idea in the darker areas.

I've had good success for a few months life out of the various 40$ dive lights on eBay and simple clamp articulating arms from the dollar store. For a minimal setup where I don't want to risk traveling with expensive equipment.

Enjoy your search.
Cameron

I have only used it in fresh water so far so there wasn't much color but maybe you can get a good idea in the darker areas.

Looks good, seems to give color only, say, 3ft from the camera? I havent done fresh water diving so not sure, i would have been all green otherwise?

simple clamp articulating arms from the dollar store.
Cameron
Thanks dude, which type of clamps are you talking about? I did a google search but I have no idea

Looks good, seems to give color only, say, 3ft from the camera? I havent done fresh water diving so not sure, i would have been all green otherwise?
Ya, I think it would have been all green. There was also a lot of particulate in the water so it may work better in clearer water.

Back
Top Bottom