Light Fins for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I own a pair of Apollos which I love, but i'm looking for something lighter for travel.
The Apollos are all rubber so i imagine they must be pretty heavy compared to others.
Interested in adjustable strap, split fin. Any suggestions? Is there a big weight/space difference? is it really worth it?
Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water ???
Oceanic Vortex ???
Thanks

Let's see, you want to spend 150 bucks to save two pounds. Might be cost effective if you are an astronaut. To da moon, knieval?

Someone has to say it...find a pair of Force Fins.

My wife and I are Oceanic V-12 Vortex fans when diving locally, but they are heavy like the Apollos. We bought Oceanic Vipers (blades, not split) for travelling. Paid about $70 a pair. Saves about 5 pounds.

The Oceanic Caribe X is basically the same fin as the Viper, but full foot, even lighter and less expensive (around $40-$50). The Vipers/Caribe X got excellent reviews from Scuba Diver fin tests.

Here's a website for the fin reviews. Depending upon which one you're looking at, you might have to go back a few years.

Scuba Diving Magazine - Fins

Someone has to say it...find a pair of Force Fins.

I would second that, seems like you would like to use the foil force. I know my force fin pros are one of my lightest ones that I have. I am not sure what you can classify my APS Mantaray...paddle...Hybrid? Those are even lighter than my Force Fins. I like them both, but I always bring my Force Fin Pros for traveling around more often.

I think the foils around 170.00 those are splits but I haven't tried them too much to make a good evaluation since I don't own a pair...yet. Same with the originals.

APS Mantaray. Not sure what to say, short, good thrust, light, easy to don and doff and about 150.00. In my opinion the best out of the buck out of my 4 pairs of fins.

The Force Fin just feels nice. I don't get the toe cramping at all and just more comfortable and fin against the traditional fins. Swim kicks makes them more enjoyable, thrust is good, too. Resistance is not nearly as much as the paddle fin, even against the APS Mantaray.

I am sure Meesier42 would be better to serve you.

Zeagle used to have a strap on your foot fin (that I never tried). They were silly light.

Farce Fins are lighter than splits but will probably drive you nuts. However, the cheaper and lighter option which tested superior to 99% of all other fins on the planet is that slipper fin, Caribe X. I haven't used the Viper but it might be worth doing the due dilligence like "nobounderies" said.

ForceFin Pros are definately lighter than most fins weighing in at under 4 lbs per pair, they are also smaller and pack easier, but yet match the performance of the best split fins. Since you are coming from split fins you will probably like them just fine, sure they feel different than most fins, but most split fin users find them very easy to adapt to

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom