Light compression fittings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
Folks, I have been gathering gear slowly looking to build a canister light. I checked with my local Lowes and Home Depot and can not seem to locate waterproof compressin fitting that I can use to secure the 3/8" SJOOW cable to keep the canister and light head dry.

While looking at the McMaster-Carr web site I was not able to locate what I wanted either. Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing??

Thanks

sylvester:
Folks, I have been gathering gear slowly looking to build a canister light. I checked with my local Lowes and Home Depot and can not seem to locate waterproof compressin fitting that I can use to secure the 3/8" SJOOW cable to keep the canister and light head dry.

While looking at the McMaster-Carr web site I was not able to locate what I wanted either. Maybe I am calling it the wrong thing??

Thanks

In the plumbing section. 3/8" compression -> male-NPT.
You have to drill out the center section to fit the wire through.
Take a piece of the SJOW with you to make sure you get the right size. Replace the compression sleeve with an appropriate sized o-ring.

John

Ritter's True-Value has them in Mechanicsburg. If you want stainless though, MC has them. I'll have to look at my 'shopping' list. I think I have a part number somewhere.

-Frank

Actually I'm looking for the same type of thing, but not for a light. I'm making an lcd display for a video housing.

Where can you get the waterproof cable?
Do any of the above have waterproof connectors?

I'm trying to do something like this.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ics_conn.html
But the Ikelite connectors aren't cheap.
I'm guessing I'd use the cord grip on the lcd housing, but would like to have some sort of connector on the video housing. That way it can be partially disassembled for travel. And also I could plug the hole on the camera housing and still use it if the lcd ever flooded.

Here is the one I have been using. It fits a 1/4 in cord. You would need a larger one for a 3/8 cord. McMaster Carr # Liquid tight cord fittings (2) 6907K22. Two nice things about this one, 1 it has a nice strain relief, and 2 it is pressure rated. Also its plated brass so no rust. The only thing to keep in mind if you use it, it threads into a straight thread not a tapered thread.

Back
Top Bottom