Light Cannon Bulbs - Philips???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out the replacement bulb for the UK light cannon?

I have searched several lighting websites to no avail.

Any info would be great.

In my limited research on HID lights it seems that most if not all bulbs are manufactured by Welch-Allyn and are very expensive. That seems to be where most of the HID dive light manufacturers claim to get the bulbs that they use in costructing their lights. That is if they even tell you at all. The "developers" kits from Welch-Allyn, if memeory serves, are pretty expensive ($500 per bulb/ballast) and may require you to buy a minimum number. I could be off there a little.

There also appear to be different types of ballast and bulbs. Some are slightly different while other's specs seem to differ greatly. It's hard to tell because the bulbs and ballast seem to have pretty scarce markings on them. How will you know if you buy the correct bulb for the ballast.

In other words you may be stuck with buying the bulb from the manufacturer of your light.

If anyone else has found out anything different I would be really interested to hear it.

Gunter

welch allen bulbs are there own proprietary design and no one else makes them hid bulbs are very expensvie to tool up for so dont expect cheap generic replacements

there are several wa 1ow hid ballasts but they all use the same bulbs however wa will not sell the 10w hid bulbs direct less than quant 100 so you have to by from light maker there is a develpoers kit 5 bulbs and ballasts for $500 pretty excpensive if you just need a bulb

makes it hard to get into the lighthead biz you have to put down $6000 up front for minimum order then pray they dont ship a defective batch

retnug once bubbled...
In my limited research on HID lights it seems that most if not all bulbs are manufactured by Welch-Allyn and are very expensive. That seems to be where most of the HID dive light manufacturers claim to get the bulbs that they use in costructing their lights. That is if they even tell you at all. The "developers" kits from Welch-Allyn, if memeory serves, are pretty expensive ($500 per bulb/ballast) and may require you to buy a minimum number. I could be off there a little.

There also appear to be different types of ballast and bulbs. Some are slightly different while other's specs seem to differ greatly. It's hard to tell because the bulbs and ballast seem to have pretty scarce markings on them. How will you know if you buy the correct bulb for the ballast.

In other words you may be stuck with buying the bulb from the manufacturer of your light.

If anyone else has found out anything different I would be really interested to hear it.

Gunter

DNAXdiver once bubbled...
welch allen bulbs are there own proprietary design and no one else makes them

I actually work for Philips Lighting...I was hoping I could use my sample discount to make life much happier.

;-0

aren't the bulbs made by solarc ? don't remember where is put the url. or are we talking about the same manufacturer ?

solarc is welch allens tradename for hid thats all

wa makes zillions of bulbs for medical etc problem is they dont make any for underwater

lanun once bubbled...
aren't the bulbs made by solarc ? don't remember where is put the url. or are we talking about the same manufacturer ?

Actually the bulbs that most if not all of the Scuba HID light manufacturers use come from Welch-Allyn. The trade name is Solarc.

Back
Top Bottom