Lifting Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of the above ideas are great. One thing that I do is have a set of doubles on a work table in my den set up with my backplate and wing, steel 100's. Once a day I don them and do three trips around the house and several trips up and down my basement steps as exercise. I'm 65 and find this helps keep me in shape for climbing a boat ladder or walking out from a shore dive. It only takes a few minutes but the results are wonderful.

Dave

All of the above ideas are great. One thing that I do is have a set of doubles on a work table in my den set up with my backplate and wing, steel 100's. Once a day I don them and do three trips around the house and several trips up and down my basement steps as exercise. I'm 65 and find this helps keep me in shape for climbing a boat ladder or walking out from a shore dive. It only takes a few minutes but the results are wonderful.

Dave

That sounds like a wonderful idea. Really targetted exercise towards the goal. Also a good argument for finally buying my own tanks rather than renting.
Thanks!

Targeted exercise is a great idea, but as I'm sure you know, the tanks are heavy. I've seen plenty of people stumble walking on much easier surfaces than residential stairs or across rugs and such. Might be a good idea to carry a phone with you incase you fall, no matter what your age, physical condition, or fitness situation.

For a while I was diving the same heavy doubles frequently, now I'm diving lighter doubles less frequently, and I ended up injuring some muscles, most likely due to trying to throw tanks around. It's all about working smarter, not harder, and knowing when to slow down to lift more carefully. Oh, and about finding a good deal on lp85's :D

Just had my c-spine MRI yesterday. Big fat herniation of the disk at c4-5, right above my fusion. :( may be awhile before I lift any doubles. I suspect I'm looking at another neck surgery.
Dangit! I'm hoping to do GUE this year!
I need to stop unloading all those trailers of feed!

Just had my c-spine MRI yesterday. Big fat herniation of the disk at c4-5, right above my fusion. :( may be awhile before I lift any doubles. I suspect I'm looking at another neck surgery.
Dangit! I'm hoping to do GUE this year!
I need to stop unloading all those trailers of feed!

Gosh, thats too bad. I wish for you a speedy recovery!!

I have a set of LP 108's & HP 130's. I only lift them when I absolutely must. I'm not shy about asking for help, if there is any around. If I can, I get them elevated, put the back plate on them & back pack them around. If I have to load them into my truck. I get a sturdy wooden kitchen chair. I lift them onto the chair, then get into the bed & lift them the rest of the way. I can only lift them to about lower chest level. If I must move them across the floor, I will typically "walk" them across the floor. I really have no wish to injure myslef, so I am very careful about how I lift them.

Oh and if your short don't lift you buddies hp120's make him do it :)

MTFU, dude :D Those are really tall tanks. I'm planning to undouble the hp120s for use as single tanks as soon as I can rebuild the valves on the 104s.

MTFU, dude :D Those are really tall tanks. I'm planning to undouble the hp120s for use as single tanks as soon as I can rebuild the valves on the 104s.

Jaydubya,

I think you'll find that HP 120's seem much taller when worn as singles, rather than as doubles!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I don't dive doubles (yet) but most of the guys who I see usually tend to leave their wing setup on it and that way put it on their back between distances including in and out of their trucks.

Jaydubya,

I think you'll find that HP 120's seem much taller when worn as singles, rather than as doubles!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Very true, I used to dive them as singles -- but I don't think Rob would have had trouble lifting single 120s into the back of his truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom